I-94 submission at airport

kumar_vijay7

Hi,

I had my old I-94 with validity date of Sep 11, 2013 stapled to my passport. I had changed job and recieved new I-94(valid till Feb 19, 2016) attached to new I-797 petition.

The old and new I-94s had the same number. In May 2013, I went to India and airline people took off my old I-94 stapled to my passport. At that time I was not sure whether I should also submit my new I-95 that came along with my new I-797 petition.

Due to some other issue with my new I-94(recieved after coming back from India), I went to CBP Deferred inspection site and showed them my new I-797 petition. The CBP Officer took off I-94 from my I-797 petition and told me that I should have submitted this while leaving Country at airport. As I did not submit that to airline people at airport while leaving Country so he is taking it now.

I don;t have any concern with CBP officer taking my I-94 from I-797 petition since after I re-enter to US I have got new I-94 now. But I just want to make sure that my exit records have been correctly updated and I don't have to take any action. Because I had heard that if by mistake you don't submit your I-94 at airport then you have to send that to USCIS. In my case I submitted original I-94 and forgot to submit the I-94 came with extension I-797 petition. But I submitted to CBP Deferred Inspection site.

And both of those I-94s had the same number.

Please suggest on this.

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All,

I also need some advise. While I entered India, airport people didnt take my I-94, back in Nov 2011.

Now my husband has new H1B and I have H4 visa stamped in my passport for next 3 years.

I was reading FAQs in CBP site about I 94 not been submitted, and I found these details  -

If you departed by a commercial air or sea carrier (airlines or cruise ships), your departure from the U.S. can be independently verified, and it is not necessary to take any further action,
although holding on to your outbound (from the U.S.) boarding pass - if you still have it - can help facilitate your reentry next time you come back to the United States.

So does this mean that I don't have to post my I 94 to them?  Or should I still post my I 94? Or I just post I 94 from within USA.

Please advise.

Archived