PIO QUESTION FOR MY DAUGHTER/SON -URGENT RESPONSE

tkumar03

Hi all

I became US citizent on Nov 20 2012. I have 2 minor kids daughter and son (below 18).

My kids were in India studying when I got my citizenship on Nov 20 2012. They did not travel to US from India after I got my citizenship in US.

I know they automatically become US citizens. Since they were in India I went to the US consultante in Jan 2013 and

apply for their US passport. They informed me since they did not travel to US after I became a US natiional, they would not do passport in India.

By then their current Indian passport had expired so we went to make a new Indian passport and then they travelled to US on May 16th and

I made their actual US passport on May 21st 2013.

When I went to make PIO for my kids in Travisa Outsourcing they gave following reasons and penalty.

Payment of $500 in Penalty Fees for Acquiring Indian passport after becoming US Citizen -

The Embassy or Consulate of India at times will require additional fees outside of what is currently listed on our website. Once a person acquires citizenship of another country, it is obligatory to surrender Indian citizenship. This may be caused by submitting an Indian passport that was issued after becoming US citizen. These decisions are made by the issuing authorities only. You may mail into our office a new money order for the amount listed, payable to Travisa Outsourcing. We cannot accept credit card payment for penalty fees required by the Consulate.

Another 500$ for travelling US using Indian Passport.

Payment of $500 in Penalty Fees for Travelling on Indian Passport - Missing

We did not receive a form of payment for a $500 penalty fees. Once a person acquires citizenship of another country, it is obligatory to surrender Indian citizenship and Indian passport should not be used for travel beyond the date of acquisition of citizenship. This may be caused by submitting an Indian passport that was not surrendered within 3 months of obtaining US citizenship or and travelling on an Indian passport after becoming a US citizen. These decisions are made by the issuing authorities only. You may mail into our office a new money order for the amount listed, payable to Travisa Outsourcing. We cannot accept credit card payment for penalty fees required by the Consulate.

My issue is, US consulate in India did not let me process US passports for my kids when they were in India. Their Indian passport were getting expired. So they renewed their passport in India.

Travisa saying that they got their Indian Passport after they became US nationals and also travelled to US using Indian passports. But the catch is that when I became US national in US, US embazzy in Chennai did not let me process my kids application because they said my kids should be in US to get their US passport.

I had to renew their passport (Indian) as it was getting expired by May 31st 2013.

The issue is that why travisa is asking me to 1000$ penalty for each kid citing an issue which I could not resolve.

Please help very urgently. I need to pay 2000$ to Travisa outsourcing. Is their claim correct

Kumar

Archived