RFE ON H1B FOR EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND

nsambatu

Hello All,

I am currently on OPT extension and I am working as a full time for client. I have done my masters in electrical engineering in US and currently working as a software developer in IT. The problem is I have received an RFE stating that my "Degree is unrelated". I have 2 years of experience now in the IT field which I am working and I have done 3 certifications related to the same field. I have couple of questions

• Do I need to get an educational evaluation done though I have done Masters in US. My client side attorney says that it would not help us. So I would like to know if education evaluation needs to be done or not ?
  • My OPT extension is going to expire in Jul 2013. Would it be helpful if I change my petition from regular to Premium or would that raise a red flag?
  • The current plan from my attorneys side is that they wanted me to list all the courses that are related to computers and programming (both electrical and computer), certificates, work experience and they somehow want to relate it to the job I am currently doing. Will this work ? and are there any other additional documents that we need to send.

Thank You

I am currently on OPT extension and I am working as a full time for client. I have done my masters in electrical engineering in US and currently working as a software developer in IT. The problem is I have received an RFE stating that my "Degree is unrelated". I have 2 years of experience now in the IT field which I am working and I have done 3 certifications related to the same field.

For an H1B job, your degree should be directly related to your job. Their are few ppl who got their H1 with this scenario but chances are very less.

Hi Naren,

I am facing the same RFE...I have been advised by my attorney for expert opinion letters which will relate my MBA degree to my computer occupation. Any suggestions anyone?

All you have to do is to show the proof that your current H1 job is related to your degree.

• 2 weeks later...

My attorney said that the educational evaluation would not be helpful and they are trying to relate my current job profile to the work I am doing. I have done some computer and programming courses in my Grad and Under Grad so I have given them as list of that. They have not replied as of now. 

• 4 years later...

Archived