Immigration Reform

maverick41

You cant just send the children back without properly evaluating the reasons why they came over in the first place. It would be an inhumane thing to do and this great country was not founded on turning away the weak and vulnerable. This is not "Operation Babylift" when thousands of children were brought over from Vietnam in 1975 - as a result of an unnecessary war. These children are already in the US and just tossing them back across the border without due process is not the right approach. 

The families of those children should be ashamed of sending their children to foreign countries. Who does that???? The children should be sent back to be reunited with their families and communities. It's inhumane to 'keep' these children away from their families. They are being sacrificed for their families selfishness.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By supporting these children, you are not only abusing the system and deceiving the nation but also indirectly helping the greedy employers who exploit these innocent children and who are more greedy than H1 consulting firm employers. Shame on you that you are indirectly responsible for this exploitation, children who are supposed to go to school are working here illegally and always feared about getting deported and all this is bcos people like you supported them. Children should always be united with their family members that's why US govt implemented DACA and now some people preach that newly unaccompanied minors should be allowed into US.If so who is going to take responsibility of these kids when they have no family members to take care of them.

Shame on you people for playing with these innocent children's lives. That's why I said these kids should be staying with their families and not working here illegally and having a miserable life. I am against the abuse of the immigration system, either you do it legally or illegally and I don't care if some people like it or not.

Shame on you people for supporting human trafficking.

Wow Rahul those words are intense :) Most of these children are crossing over to be united with their families who are in the US. If they were so miserable in the US why would families keep trying to cross the border. As someone from India who arrived in a plane I may not be able to relate to the methods used to get to the US but I can relate to why they want to be here-- a better life.

In any case crossing by foot to get to the US is decreasing compared to previous years. Soon it's going to be common place to see electric fences and drones in the border. We will then be safe from the invading hordes...I mean kids :) In my book it's karma. I look at these kids and some of the DREAMers and I see indigenous faces. The natives have come to take back the US :)

“Where are the warriors today? Who slew them? Where are our lands? Who owns them?....What law have I broken? Is it wicked for me because my skin is red? Because I am a Sioux; because I was born where my father lived; because I would die for my people and my country?” Chief Sitting Bull

Wow Rahul those words are intense :) Most of these children are crossing over to be united with their families who are in the US. If they were so miserable in the US why would families keep trying to cross the border. As someone from India who arrived in a plane I may not be able to relate to the methods used to get to the US but I can relate to why they want to be here-- a better life.

Well if they are crossing the border illegally to unite with their families then shame on those families who left their children for their selfishness !!

Everyone wants a better life, so are you saying a bank robber who robs a bank should be let go because he did it for a better life?

If they want a better life, do it legally, follow the laws and get in the line like all of us did. You have any problem with this statement? If not then stop defending illegal activities with emotional BS.

In any case crossing by foot to get to the US is decreasing compared to previous years. Soon it's going to be common place to see electric fences and drones in the border. We will then be safe from the invading hordes...I mean kids :) In my book it's karma. I look at these kids and some of the DREAMers and I see indigenous faces. The natives have come to take back the US :)

We all are Dreamers, we all have dreams, doesn't mean we all start breaking laws to achieve our dreams. How would you feel if someone breaks into your home to fulfill their dream?

“Where are the warriors today? Who slew them? Where are our lands? Who owns them?....What law have I broken? Is it wicked for me because my skin is red? Because I am a Sioux; because I was born where my father lived; because I would die for my people and my country?” Chief Sitting Bull

Yes there were conquests 100s of years back, thats what everyone did. There was no concept of country back then in US, there were no laws to be broken. There were jungles and tribes. Don't bring what happened 100s of years back to justify lawlessness now. Millions of people have worked hard to make this country what it is, and that's why laws are created. Nobody is against people coming in, do you know US takes in the highest number of people in the world, more than any other country. Still you guys complain.

DesiDude - Well said!

I have been following this post and clearly am with your's and Rahul's argument. No offense to the others, but no one are anti-immigrant. US welcomes everyone to live their dreams, and need to if they immigrate the right way following the laws.

No wonder crossing the border, getting seperated with families is a painful ordeal. But thats a one time thing. If all the legals really start telling their stories, they are even worse. All the people working for desi companies are literally expolited for so many years as they wait in the queue to get their GC's while paying taxes. Now not everyone can join MS or big companies right. There are so many companies who want skilled people but wouldnt want to sponsor, so they end up taking people from these Desi companies as temporary workers and in this process the middle men eat a chunk of the pay. Expolitation is every where be it legal or illegal. Its just having the ethic to go the right way that matters. I don't think anyone who is going against the laws should be soft-sided.

Desi Dude why so much hate? There is so much anger in some of your words. You are comparing some of these kids and people to common criminals and bank robbers. You are also making light of some of the shameful events that happened in US history. I guess I will just have to recognize that each person is entitled to their opinions and leave it at that. Peace.

No wonder crossing the border, getting seperated with families is a painful ordeal. But thats a one time thing. If all the legals really start telling their stories, they are even worse. All the people working for desi companies are literally expolited for so many years as they wait in the queue to get their GC's while paying taxes. Now not everyone can join MS or big companies right. There are so many companies who want skilled people but wouldnt want to sponsor, so they end up taking people from these Desi companies as temporary workers and in this process the middle men eat a chunk of the pay. Expolitation is every where be it legal or illegal. Its just having the ethic to go the right way that matters. I don't think anyone who is going against the laws should be soft-sided.

If you do it with a legal status, then I 100% guarantee that you will get caught. But if you are illegal what's the guarantee that you will be caught for wrong doings??

Desi Dude why so much hate? There is so much anger in some of your words. You are comparing some of these kids and people to common criminals and bank robbers. You are also making light of some of the shameful events that happened in US history. I guess I will just have to recognize that each person is entitled to their opinions and leave it at that. Peace.

Lets just leave it to the fact that you believe in crimes and illegal activities and you don't believe in the concept of country or home. People like you encourage crimes and shortcuts. These kids are not criminals, its' people like you who show them fake dreams and lure them to take illegal path and ruin their lives. Anyone who loves kids will never make them do things that you guys intend.

• 2 weeks later...

Obama met with richest CEO's of Big companies to discuss immigration -

As I said before, the rich elites and the Dem party are working together to reduce wages and to make profit.

That is hardly the sole purview of the Democrats -- the same thing can be said of the Republicans.  When it comes to politics the age old "golden rule" applies ... "he who has the gold makes the rules".

Also, why are you complaining?  Recent news articles are suggesting that President Obama and the Administration are listening to business groups who are lobbying for (executive action) immigration fixes for legal aliens pursuing employment based permanent residency visas (green cards).  Notably, the fixes being sought and contemplated are visa number recapture from previous years (estimated at 200,000 visas) and having spouses and children dependent derivative visas not counted in the employment based (EB) category quotas (estimated at ~80,000 visas / year).  At the same time pressure is growing to limit and even defer administrative (executive action) 'fixes' (benefits) for illegal aliens because of the risk of losing control in the Senate.

In other words, reasonable changes (fixes) for legal aliens is gaining favor, and 'fixes' (benefits) for illegal aliens is losing some momentum.

Not a single proposed executive action will help the current EB2 & EB3 people who have been waiting in line for more than 5yrs. The administration should help these people first before giving defacto GC to H4 who just landed or to families who haven't even arrived.

By the way, I'm in favor of controlled immigration (like in Australia & canada) and not tripling the immigrants coming in, since thats just gonna lower the wages down for everyone and only the Big companies & politicians will benefit.

By the way, I'm in favor of controlled immigration (like in Australia & canada) and not tripling the immigrants coming in, since thats just gonna lower the wages down for everyone and only the Big companies & politicians will benefit.

Unfortunately some people doesn't like this controlled immigration. And won't agree to the fact that it will lower the wages.

Not a single proposed executive action will help the current EB2 & EB3 people who have been waiting in line for more than 5yrs. The administration should help these people first before giving defacto GC to H4 who just landed or to families who haven't even arrived.

You need to do some more research on the administrative fixes to legal employment based immigration that are being contemplated for executive action before making such as statement.

There is reporting through the AILA that Mr. Oppenheim, Chief of the Visa Control and Reporting Division at the Department of State, said that visa number recapture from previous years and having spouses and children dependent derivative visas not counted in the employment based (EB) category quotas would result in all of the EB visa categories immediately becoming current.  This specifically applies to "current EB2 and EB3 people", including those "who have been waiting in line for more than 5 years".

As for H-4 spouse employment authorization, it is a DHS / USCIS rule making proposal and process that has been ongoing for 2-1/2 years, outside of the any Administration executive action immigration 'fixes'.  It will complete in the next few months regardless of President Obama, the Administration executive actions, the mid term elections.  (Albeit, President Obama may 'role it into' his immigration 'fixes' to take credit for the action.)

To follow up on what Catx has been writing about earlier--The Washington Post is also reporting today about advocacy groups pushing the Obama administration to look into legal fixes for visa retrogression and increasing the number of green cars.

"Although the efforts to relieve pressure on some of the nation’s 11 million illegal immigrants are expected to be the centerpiece of the president’s action, the administration also is weighing measures that would streamline the legal immigration system by reducing huge backlogs of foreigners hoping to obtain legal permanent residency."

Immigration reform has hit a road block again. So it looks like we are not going to see any executive order or bill being passed any time soon. Let's hope that DHS/USCIS continues to work on small "fixes" through the rulemaking process. A rule that focuses on not having spouses and children counted on the EB category quota would be a step in the right direction.

Endelman and Mehta have nicely outlined their argument of not needing to count family members in an Immigration Daily column. "We know of no explicit authorization for derivative family members to be counted under either the Employment Based or Family Based preference in the Immigration and Nationality Act. Let us examine what INA § 203(d) says:

A spouse of child defined in subparagraphs (A), (B), C, (D), or (E) of section 1101(b) of this title shall, if not otherwise entitled to an immigrant status and the immediate issuance of a visa under subsection (a), (b), or c of this section, be entitled to the same status, and the same order of consideration provided in the respective subsection, if accompanying or following to join, the spouse or parent.

There is nothing here that explicitly authorizes or mandates the counting of family members under the preference quotas. While a derivative is “entitled to the same status, and the same order of consideration” as the principal alien, nothing requires that family members also be given their own numbers.

So it looks like we are not going to see any executive order or bill being passed any time soon.

Do you know what's the reason for that?

The daily news is full of the reasons, in increasing impact ...

• Russia's aggressions against Ukraine, and the associated hostilities.
  • ISIS / ISIL in Syria and Iraq, and the brutalities and unspeakable atrocities exacted upon two American journalists and other civilians in their occupied territories.
  • The NATO summit this week, in which the above noted foreign affairs issues are front and center.
  • The influx of unaccompanied minors and mothers from Guatemala, El Salvador, and Honduras at the U.S. southern border (so-called "humanitarian crisis").
  • Potential impact on the November 2014 mid-term elections.

It is this last point that is particularly noteworthy.  There is marked, if not significant, pressure within the Democratic party to delay any executive actions on immigration until after the November mid-term elections for fear of loosing vulnerable Senate seats to the Republicans, and thus loosing majority control in the Senate.  If the Republicans win majority control in the Senate in November, and therefore would have the majority in both houses of Congress, then President Obama would have no legislative agenda (except to veto bills).

Further, for those groups pressuring for executive action for illegal aliens, be careful what you wish for it may just come true.  If President Obama issues executive actions for illegal aliens benefits, then there will be a Republican backlash.  This could easily carry Republicans into majority control in the Senate.  If this happens, one of the first bills to be passed by Congress would be to rescind those executive actions including DACA, and impose additional actions and penalties on all illegal aliens.

Does president needs congress support to implement executive action?

Respectfully, if you are in the U.S. you should learn your civics lessons.  Executive action means what it says -- action by the executive branch of the U.S. federal government, and the executive branch is the president and his administration.  (For reference, the legislative branch is Congress, and the judicial branch are the federal courts with the Supreme Court at the top.)

When President Obama said "he would go it alone" referring to immigration reform, he was saying he would use his authority to issue executive actions to address immigration reform.  That being said, presidential executive action is limited in what can be done.  For example, presidential executive action cannot change immigration quotas specified in the immigration act.  In other words, executive action cannot change or make laws.  Only Congress can change or make laws through passing legislation.

• 1 month later...

Latest news !!! Obama has asked USCIS to prepare 34 million Green Cards to be given to illegal aliens right after the November elections.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2800356/us-immigration-authorities-prep-order-34-million-blank-green-cards-work-authorization-papers-obama-readies-executive-order-illegal-aliens.html

The Democrats don't care about the EB2 & EB3 who have been waiting in line for 10yrs, working hard, abiding by the rules. It's a sad day for Immigration.

Latest news !!! Obama has asked USCIS to prepare 34 million Green Cards to be given to illegal aliens right after the November elections.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2800356/us-immigration-authorities-prep-order-34-million-blank-green-cards-work-authorization-papers-obama-readies-executive-order-illegal-aliens.html

The Democrats don't care about the EB2 & EB3 who have been waiting in line for 10yrs, working hard, abiding by the rules. It's a sad day for Immigration.

I guess its not just for illegals, its for both legal and illegal aliens.

Archived