RFE on CPT history

rneeraj

Hello,

I go to Ohio State University and I recently applied for OPT and got an RFE from USCIS requesting the following:

1--An official transcript

2--A letter from my advisor asking why the authorized CPT was an integral part of my program of degree. It also asked to include a list of program requirements

3--A letter from my previous employers attesting my work dates and my pay stubs from those employers.

I was wondering why USCIS requires such a detailed list of documents? I did work on part time CPT for 2 semesters for different employers but I worked <15 hrs/week. Are they trying to establish that I did not violate any F-1 requirements and that I was legitimately working while on CPT? I'm confused and are these grounds for denial?

Hello,

I go to Ohio State University and I recently applied for OPT and got an RFE from USCIS requesting the following:

1--An official transcript

2--A letter from my advisor asking why the authorized CPT was an integral part of my program of degree. It also asked to include a list of program requirements

3--A letter from my previous employers attesting my work dates and my pay stubs from those employers.

I was wondering why USCIS requires such a detailed list of documents? I did work on part time CPT for 2 semesters for different employers but I worked <15 hrs/week. Are they trying to establish that I did not violate any F-1 requirements and that I was legitimately working while on CPT? I'm confused and are these grounds for denial?

Relax, your RFE is clearly understandable.

They want to check your employment during CPT, for that they need

1. transcript- CPT work should be mentioned in the transcirpts

2. adviser letter - since CPT is part of your F1 program, USCIS wants to know for which program you took CPT

3. Employment letter- CPT employment verification letter and pay-stubs. why pay-stubs? since most of the people abuse CPT by working FT.

Hi Joe and Rahul,

Thank you for your swift responses. I understand now, it's more about them making sure that I did not violate any F-1 laws (which I did not) correct? Also, I forgot to mention that this is my first OPT application, it is not for the STEM extention. It's still normal for them to ask for these documents correct?

Hi Joe and Rahul,

Thank you for your swift responses. I understand now, it's more about them making sure that I did not violate any F-1 laws (which I did not) correct? Also, I forgot to mention that this is my first OPT application, it is not for the STEM extention. It's still normal for them to ask for these documents correct?

Yes, they can ask you any immigration related document.

Archived