Citizenship eligibility

mehtajignasa

Hello,

We have completed 3.6 yrs on GC with continuous residency in US. We have stayed for more than 42 months in US i. Now we have to move to India for family reasons.

So in order to be eligible for naturalization, if we come back to US in less than 180 days and then stay in US for a week or so and then go back to India. If we do this untill we become eligible for applying (ie. 5 yrs minus 90 days). Does that work?

What is your advice on this?

You MUST make your home in the US to maintain your green cards. You cannot just visit and expect to keep it much less get citizenship. You appear to be abandoning your GC.

You do not "have to move to India", you are choosing to do so. You get to choose to move to India and forgo USC or choose to live and work in the US and perhaps get it.

You can file for a reentry permit and return and restart the citizenship clock once you return.

Once you have made the choice to move back to India, why do you care about becoming a USC?

Hello,

We have completed 3.6 yrs on GC with continuous residency in US. We have stayed for more than 42 months in US i. Now we have to move to India for family reasons.

That means you would abandon the GC.

And of course, if you abandon the GC, you can't become a US citizen.

Just coming to the US once in a while does not help you keep the GC.

You do not "have to move to India", you are choosing to do so.

There are times when someone "have to move" . I have seen a family (PhD research scientist in Pharma) who had to sell their house and move back after he lost his job and did not get anything after waiting for 6 months. He got a decent job back in Bangalore. Migration is not always voluntary.

thats exactly my question...but i believe that people want to get their share of SSN....thats why becoming a USC is imp for them.

People can get social security benefits without being a US citizen. See the social security website, under international issues.

There are times when someone "have to move" . I have seen a family (PhD research scientist in Pharma) who had to sell their house and move back after he lost his job and did not get anything after waiting for 6 months. He got a decent job back in Bangalore. Migration is not always voluntary.

Well, then any GC would be lost. That is of course the person's choice.

But what a person can NOT do is faking things to get naturalized.

Welcome to the USA. Many USCs are in the same position only they do not have the opportunity to relocate to another country since most are less welcoming to guest workers than the US. No one is guaranteed a US job.

Well, then any GC would be lost. That is of course the person's choice.

But what a person can NOT do is faking things to get naturalized.

Sure, no argument there. The point was -- is migration always by choice ... and the fact is NO. Migration is not always voluntary (you as an advocate of illegal immigration would know it better :) )

Welcome to the USA. Many USCs are in the same position only they do not have the opportunity to relocate to another country since most are less welcoming to guest workers than the US. No one is guaranteed a US job.

Sure they have opportunity to relocate to other countries. Till recently Canada had a more flexible immigration policy, Some countries in Europe, Australia etc has a easier immigration policy. Even moving with a job to India is not a daunting task. And the fact is, many USC with required skill has relocated at least temporarily to other countries .... one example is Oil Fields in Gulf countries

While no one is Guaranteed a US (or any country) job, people who have skills migrate to other parts for job. Those who do not have the skill just whine :)

Sure, no argument there. The point was -- is migration always by choice ... and the fact is NO. Migration is not always voluntary (you as an advocate of illegal immigration would know it better :) )

You really need to learn to read my posts.

I have never been an "advocate of illegal immigration".

Are you trying to become a right-wing politician???

You really need to learn to read my posts.

I have never been an "advocate of illegal immigration".

Are you trying to become a right-wing politician???

Never been an advocate ? Really! Not only me , most member of this forum are aware of your illegal immigrant leaning . Why did you shy out of the CIR thread when people started asking you questions regarding your stand on illegal CPT and illegal immigration ? Oh! Oh! I know you have all the compassion (just for certain groups )

Sure they have opportunity to relocate to other countries. Till recently Canada had a more flexible immigration policy, Some countries in Europe, Australia etc has a easier immigration policy. Even moving with a job to India is not a daunting task. And the fact is, many USC with required skill has relocated at least temporarily to other countries .... one example is Oil Fields in Gulf countries

While no one is Guaranteed a US (or any country) job, people who have skills migrate to other parts for job. Those who do not have the skill just whine :)

They go as expats working for the international subsidiary of a US company. I have a child doing so at this time because they were unable to fill the position from local area (or have qualified Desis with work authorization) in a year. However, his work visa specifically excludes permanent immigration.

Why should a USC whose forefathers worked hard to build a country so many want to come to have to go to a third world country where many do not even have basic sanitation and services if they do not want to do so just so people from that country can come to the US on fraudulent credentials.

They go as expats working for the international subsidiary of a US company. I have a child doing so at this time because they were unable to fill the position from local area (or have qualified Desis with work authorization) in a year.

Very similar to H1 -- unable to fill the position from local area .

So , your child moved there by choice leaving his motherland ? Most likely he did not have a job here.

However, his work visa specifically excludes permanent immigration.

That is true for Gulf countries but NOT for many other country.

Why should a USC whose forefathers worked hard to build a country so many want to come to have to go to a third world country where many do not even have basic sanitation and services if they do not want to do so just so people from that country can come to the US on fraudulent credentials.

If a USC does not want to go to a third world country and whine it is his CHOICE. That DOES NOT establish your point that every migration is by choice. People migrate in search of job .

OK, since you were very suppotive of GC lottery and think all the experts comes through GC (Diversity) lottery why don't you migrate to one such country. It must be land of milk and honey ... right ?

Do you realise that you are writing in a forum which is "owned" by someone from "that country" and not yoru fore father ? Do you think the owner came to US "on fraudulent credentials" ? Thank her, you have a opening to vent your frustrations and whines.

If they came into US with fraudulent credentials, then just deport them.

Coming to forefather's hard work, everyone knows the history.

Archived