221g Resolved after 32 days of wait at Toronto.

kb.usa99

I would like to share my experiences with all the newbies out there.

My background:

• Appeared for a First time h1b visa moving from F1 to H1, completed my master in Software engineering.
  • Full time employee to a very reputed American company.
  • Worked for many other organizations prior to the current job position.

VISA interview day: 18th march 2013

I was interviewed by a very young Chinese guy

1. Do you work for XXX company

yes sir.

2. How long have you been working with XXX?

XXX

3. Have you done you masters in US?

yes

4. Many i know you major?

Software engineering

5. Have you done any specialization?

Explained

6.Can you describe more about your research and publications?

Explained

stared at me for a couple of seconds and asked for my resume. Looked at it and said. I am requesting for an administrative processing on your case and you will receive an email in 3-5 weeks. No other documents are requested. He took my Resume, I 797 and DS160 and returned my passport.

On doing some further research i found out a lot of useful information and here it is.

In 2003 Department of state (DOS) has included some security check procedures on people entering on a non immigrant visas.These checks vary from case to case and they are named as VISA mantis check, VISA condor check and a VISA donkey check.

All applicants history will be scanned against a Technology Alert list (TAL) defined by the DOS systems. If the applicant has a background in the list of technologies that are defined in the TAL list. There will be a technology Alert that will be seen by a counselor and might need a VISA mantis check.

The condor and Donkey checks will be done on people who has a common name that matches the FBI's name alert list, which is send to DOS quite often to be updated to the DOS list. These checks are very intensive and highly time consuming, 3-4 months at an average.

DOS has requested the US embassy to issue a VISA at the window for most of the cases as this is making a huge chaos in keeping the applicants pending for about an year. Later in 2009 -2011 these checks were significantly reduced and accordingly are the pending cases.

For a Visa mantis Check, the VO is typically required to gather a resume and other research publication information and send it for a security advisory officer (SAO) in Washington DC via cable.

Once SAO receives this information, the applicants are checked against the FBI name database and the results are saved. In parallel the applicant information is sent to 15 different security agencies for review and opinion based on the type of technology alert list he is part of. The agencies are required to respond in 15 business days with their review or can request more time from DOS depending on the case.

Once the SAO receives the security analysis from the agencies. He drafts a letter to the consulate with their opinions and objections of VISA issuance, if there are any on that particular case. This entire process take 30 days in average. 80% of the VISA mantis cases are resolved in 30 Days as of 2013.

As soon as the Consular receives the SAO cable, he is required to approve or decline a VISA based on his judgement after reading the SAO's opinion.

MY Case Update:

• Status update date on the DOS website change on APR 16th 2013. Received an email from the consulate on the same day to submit the passport. No other documents requested.
  • Submitted my passport in person on Apr 18th 2013
  • Status update date on the DOS website change on APR 18th 2013 but still under admin processing
  • Status changed to issued on APR 19 2013

My advice for people working in IT and who has background in other engineering fields please read the TAL list available online and if you have worked in any of those fields, plan to stay for a max of 6 weeks. However if you are lucky enough, the visa officer might approve your case even with a technology alert and it all depends on what judgement runs in his mind.

Hope this information is useful to other folks out there.

thanks

KB.

Kb

Thanks for your detailed post , It helped me understand why i was issued a 221g , I fell under the TAL list .

Its such a relief to know the reason behing getting a 221g even after a very good interview and clear paperwork .

Do you have any idea how such cases are considered the next time we go for H1B visa stamping since i have only 1 year left on my visa .

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like to share my experiences with all the newbies out there.

My background:

• Appeared for a First time h1b visa moving from F1 to H1, completed my master in Software engineering.
  • Full time employee to a very reputed American company.
  • Worked for many other organizations prior to the current job position.
VISA interview day: 18th march 2013

I was interviewed by a very young Chinese guy

1. Do you work for XXX company

yes sir.

2. How long have you been working with XXX?

XXX

3. Have you done you masters in US?

yes

4. Many i know you major?

Software engineering

5. Have you done any specialization?

Explained

6.Can you describe more about your research and publications?

Explained

stared at me for a couple of seconds and asked for my resume. Looked at it and said. I am requesting for an administrative processing on your case and you will receive an email in 3-5 weeks. No other documents are requested. He took my Resume, I 797 and DS160 and returned my passport.

On doing some further research i found out a lot of useful information and here it is.

In 2003 Department of state (DOS) has included some security check procedures on people entering on a non immigrant visas.These checks vary from case to case and they are named as VISA mantis check, VISA condor check and a VISA donkey check.

All applicants history will be scanned against a Technology Alert list (TAL) defined by the DOS systems. If the applicant has a background in the list of technologies that are defined in the TAL list. There will be a technology Alert that will be seen by a counselor and might need a VISA mantis check.

The condor and Donkey checks will be done on people who has a common name that matches the FBI's name alert list, which is send to DOS quite often to be updated to the DOS list. These checks are very intensive and highly time consuming, 3-4 months at an average.

DOS has requested the US embassy to issue a VISA at the window for most of the cases as this is making a huge chaos in keeping the applicants pending for about an year. Later in 2009 -2011 these checks were significantly reduced and accordingly are the pending cases.

For a Visa mantis Check, the VO is typically required to gather a resume and other research publication information and send it for a security advisory officer (SAO) in Washington DC via cable.

Once SAO receives this information, the applicants are checked against the FBI name database and the results are saved. In parallel the applicant information is sent to 15 different security agencies for review and opinion based on the type of technology alert list he is part of. The agencies are required to respond in 15 business days with their review or can request more time from DOS depending on the case.

Once the SAO receives the security analysis from the agencies. He drafts a letter to the consulate with their opinions and objections of VISA issuance, if there are any on that particular case. This entire process take 30 days in average. 80% of the VISA mantis cases are resolved in 30 Days as of 2013.

As soon as the Consular receives the SAO cable, he is required to approve or decline a VISA based on his judgement after reading the SAO's opinion.

MY Case Update:

• Status update date on the DOS website change on APR 16th 2013. Received an email from the consulate on the same day to submit the passport. No other documents requested.
  • Submitted my passport in person on Apr 18th 2013
  • Status update date on the DOS website change on APR 18th 2013 but still under admin processing
  • Status changed to issued on APR 19 2013
My advice for people working in IT and who has background in other engineering fields please read the TAL list available online and if you have worked in any of those fields, plan to stay for a max of 6 weeks. However if you are lucky enough, the visa officer might approve your case even with a technology alert and it all depends on what judgement runs in his mind.

Hope this information is useful to other folks out there.

thank

Thank u for sharing this information..!

Archived