RFE - COS from H4 to F1- Urgent

keller

Hi, I applied for my change of status from H4 to F1 in Mar 2013 and have received an RFE a month later. Based on what my university advised, I submitted the form I-539 along with copies of my passport, I-20 and I-94. I was not advised to submit any other documents and hence I didn't.

Now, in the RFE, I have been asked by USCIS to submit the following:

1. Recent pay stubs of my husband to verifiy valid non-immigrant status in the US.

2. Document supporting funds for 1st year of study and also documents supporting funds for the entire duration of the course (which is 3 years)

I have the following questions:

1. I did mention in form I-539 that my spouse will be sponsoring me. Now, as a reply to this RFE, should my spouse submit an affidavit I-134 (my husband is on H1 currently)? Or, submitting only bank statement, accompanied with a cover letter, will suffice?

2. My spouse can submit US bank statements to sufficiently cover 1st year of study but not the entire 3 years. In this case, will it be sufficient to state that my spouse will continue to support the other 2 years through his salary (which is our plan anyway to pay for the studies)?

3. Can I submit bank statements etc from my father/father-in law (they reside in India) towards this as a sponsor? If yes, in what document form? Whether a bank statement will be sufficient or it requires official statements on stamp paper etc?

4. In case, the answer to question no.2 is 'Yes', will we still need to submit any sposnor documents from India?

5. Can there be more than 1 sponsor for my study?

6. Given that i have received the RFE and if I reply with documents in the next 7-10 days, how much duration should I expect for a decision to be made on COS?

I will really appreciate if I get answers to above queries.

Thanks

I have the following questions:

1. I did mention in form I-539 that my spouse will be sponsoring me. Now, as a reply to this RFE, should my spouse submit an affidavit I-134 (my husband is on H1 currently)? Or, submitting only bank statement, accompanied with a cover letter, will suffice?

Yes.

2. My spouse can submit US bank statements to sufficiently cover 1st year of study but not the entire 3 years. In this case, will it be sufficient to state that my spouse will continue to support the other 2 years through his salary (which is our plan anyway to pay for the studies)?

Try to show a bank statement for 3 years because they specifically asked for that in RFE.

3. Can I submit bank statements etc from my father/father-in law (they reside in India) towards this as a sponsor? If yes, in what document form? Whether a bank statement will be sufficient or it requires official statements on stamp paper etc?

I don;t think so. Beacuse you already mentioned your spouse will be sponsoring you in I 539.

4. In case, the answer to question no.2 is 'Yes', will we still need to submit any sposnor documents from India?

5. Can there be more than 1 sponsor for my study?

Not sure. But since u mentioned in form I 539 only one better stick to one.

6. Given that i have received the RFE and if I reply with documents in the next 7-10 days, how much duration should I expect for a decision to be made on COS?

will be between 2 to 4 weeks.

Hi Shekar, thanks for your inputs.

It will be good if you can let me know if my spouse needs to submit I-134 or not?

Also, in I-539 we had shown the availability of fund for the first year of tuition/expenses as mentioned in the I-20 and the mention of my spouse as a sponsor was for this amount only (first year of tuition). Do you still think that I can't provide the names of my father/father-in-law as a sponsor?

Thanks in advance.

Archived