First time H1b Stamping Options (India, Canada, Mexico)

a13920

Hello everyone,

I arrived in US on a F1 visa and have been working on H1b for the last 3 years, GC not filled. Never been to India after H1b approval.

Can I go to Canada/Mexico for my first stamping?

If yes, what are the chances in Canada/Mexico vs. India.

You can go anywhere. Canada is advisable only because even if something happens and you get a 221G it will get processed faster when compared to India.

Thanks for your feedback, I have two other questions:

1) What is the range of duration for 221G processing in Canada vs. India?

2) If I get 221G denied, I am assuming I have to go back to home country. What happens to my loans and assets in US, how can I settle this?

You can go to India or Canada.

Thank you for your feedback Shekar.

So, If I wanted to get my stamping done ASAP and if I plan to do my stamping in Canada then I should probably apply for Canadian Visitor visa asap too right? because I've read that itself takes 59 days according to the CIC website.

FYI... Detroit Canadian consulate is no longer processing Candian visa effective from Jan 29th 2012. I received my application back saying that as below...

The Visa and Immigration Section at the Canadian Consulate in Detroit (United States) is closed and services transferred to the Canadian Consulate in New York or in Los Angeles.

For more detailed information on the changes, please see the below link...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2013-01-29.asp

FYI... Detroit Canadian consulate is no longer processing Candian visa effective from Jan 29th 2012. I received my application back saying that as below...

The Visa and Immigration Section at the Canadian Consulate in Detroit (United States) is closed and services transferred to the Canadian Consulate in New York or in Los Angeles.

For more detailed information on the changes, please visit Canadian Consulate in Detroit website.

Archived