Education Requirement different in Job posting than Diploma

I have very weird and confusing situation, can you please help.

My company today posted advertisement on company website where education requirement mentioned was Structural Engineering, However I have done Masters in Civil Engineering. During my masters program I studied most of the subjects were related to Structural, but my University issued diploma and transcript with only "Masters Engineering" and they are ready to provide separate letter where it is mention I have graduated in Civil Engineering.

My question is If my company applies for PERM and labor for requirement of Structural Engineering but I have degree Masters in Civil engineering where many subjects cover for Structural(but not Diploma title with Structural Engineering), is there any chance for labor denial?

I appricate for all your helps, Thanks in advance.

If you have a civil engineering degree and the job requirements are for structural engineering, then a PERM labor certification application may well be denied on that basis. If the job requirements state something about equivalency or alternatives, then there could be better applicability. Courses taken in a discipline are not equivalent to a degree in that discipline. If there are structural engineering license requirements, then a degree in civil engineering will not be applicable for the job.

Further, regardless of the exact job requirements, the recruiting effort for the PERM labor certification application will likely result in any number of applications from degreed, and even licensed, structural engineers, and it would be very difficult for the employer to justify that your civil engineering degree makes you the only qualified candidate for the job.

Actually, the PE licensing board offers 2 different structural engineering exams - one is civil with structural emphasis and the other is structural. The requirements for structural design are state dependent. Several, CA being one but I do not have a comprehensive list, are very strict (CA because of earthquake design requirements).

If the PERM application is on your behalf, you need to be having a discussion with your corporate supervisor and the corporate chief engineer as to what the requirements are in your state. It is possible in a national company, they may be using a standard that does not apply.

And has bee previously state, a PE applying for your job if you do not have licensure, would be very hard to disqualify.

USCIS can be very particular in deciding whether a worker has the degree required by the Labor Certification. If there is some question / doubt about whether the field of study on one's degree will meet what is on the Labor Certification, it is usually important - and helpful - to speak with an attorney who can provide some advice on what can be done, including whether doing a new Labor Certification - as a backup - is a good idea.

Archived