I-94 validity as per the passport validity-Need renewal for I94 now

vlp.hyd81@gmail.com

Hello Experts,

I believe this is a very common issue and have searched the forum for answers but I do have few doubts for which I seek your expert advice.

My case:

1.Entered US in JFK airport in 2012 and though my H1B is valid till 2015,I was given I-94 valid till last date of validity of my passport i.e October 2013.

2.Renewed my passport recently and now my next task is to renew I-94.

3.Searched forums and CBP sites and found out all options which can be done to achieve this.

4.I called a local airport where I currently live(not JFK) to check if they do the I 94 extension but they politely refused that CBP dont do it.

5.Friends suggested to try at JFK terminal since that was my port of entry and they should be able to do.

6.Last option,Either go out of country like Canada or Mexico by flight and get your new I 94 at the airport Or get it extended by employer like an H1 extension.

Now my doubt is for point 5 and 6.

Is point no 5 correct? Can JFK CBP give me new I 94 there since that was my port of entry while a local airport said that CBp wont do this kind of things.

Also,If I go to canada or Mexico ,Do i have to stay there for minimum of 30 days or so,or just few days should be ok?

You advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Also,If I go to canada or Mexico ,Do i have to stay there for minimum of 30 days or so,or just few days should be ok?

No need to stay for 30days.

Cross the border on the day of I94 expiration and in the evening, you will get new I94 when you enter into US. Just make sure your visa is valid.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Vizzi,

I am in a similiar situation and considering going to Canada as well. Does it matter if you re enter to USA via Airport or the Border crossing via the road?

Thanks,

Abhishek

Hello Vizzi,

I am in a similiar situation and considering going to Canada as well. Does it matter if you re enter to USA via Airport or the Border crossing via the road?

Thanks,

Abhishek

Hi Abhishek,

sorry for the late reply.

My employer filed extension for me and I got my new i 94..So I didnot go to Canada though I had received the canada visa.

My analysis:

1.Canada visa entire process took around 40 business day right from the day of sending the passport to consultate.That was quite frustrating.So if you intent to go to Canada please take this margin into consideration.

2. Yes if you go to canada by road even and come back you will get your new I 94.

Hope it helps.

Archived