OPT approval dependent on level of certification?

phoenix27

Hi,

I have already finished my masters 2 years ago in SINGAPORE and have 2 years work experience after my masters in INDIA.

In order to do something meaningful I started studying full-time certification in a community college and got F1 visa. I am also eligible to apply for OPT.

But my concern is that this certification is a good certification but not an undergraduate, graduate or MASTER level certification. It is a very basic certification from a community college.

As my certification is a basic certification, will my OPT be denied on these grounds?

Who told you that your certification qualified for OPT? Check with the DSO at your college to determine what your options are.

A CC certificate after a masters degree was foolish; you should have used your academic credentials to obtain another degree.

Who told you that your certification qualified for OPT? Check with the DSO at your college to determine what your options are.

A CC certificate after a masters degree was foolish; you should have used your academic credentials to obtain another degree.

I am eligible for OPT, plus the certification I am doing is pertaining to the job I did earlier. In fact I am actually learning more things about Information Systems.

My concern is only that whether they will deny my OPT on the grounds of this certification being a basic professional certificate?

OPT employment authorization is only available to foreign students who have graduated from an accredited U.S. university with a Bachelors, Masters, or Doctorate degree, and must be applied for within 60 days of completion of the degree program. A "Masters 2 years ago in Singapore" does not qualify for OPT on both accounts ... it is (i) a non U.S. university, and (ii) the degree was completed more than 60 days ago. As for a certification from a community college, that also does not qualify for OPT as it is not a university degree

• 3 months later...

Archived