Question on B2 Visa holder visits to US

itsavish

Hi,

Can you please help me with the following concerns.

My parents hold a B2 Visa and they first visited US in Aug 2012.

They stayed from Aug 2012 - Nov 2012 and returned to India.

Now I'm planning to invite them again end of March 2013. The plan is to stay for 2-3 months and return by June 20 2013.

Also my sister who lives in California is planning to invite them in October/November of this year.

Please let me know if there would be any problem at port of entries in above visits.

Also the rule that they can stay at a stretch for 6 months is that considered from Jan - Dec calendar year or is that 6 months considered within one year of their last visit?

Thank you

There is no rule about 6 months per year; it is a "rule of thumb". There may be a problem anytime and they be given a short I-94 or denied entry. Frequent, short visits are typical of American families. However, 3 months is not a "short" visit. No one can predict what will occur. Personally, I think their visits are too long to be so frequent but the official at the border may be fine with them.

Now I'm planning to invite them again end of March 2013. The plan is to stay for 2-3 months and return by June 20 2013.

Also my sister who lives in California is planning to invite them in October/November of this year.

Since you know that they will be visiting in October, its better to visit in the month of Oct.

Frequent visits within a short period will cause some issues.

Hi,

Thanks for your response, my wife is expecting in April so we are inviting also in october my sister is.

So its kind of a necessary trip. What reasoning can they give as they have not overstayed in previous visits? Also will the March visit will be a problem or the october or both? Thanks for your advice.

Guest Noah Lotte

Be sure to have them mention that they are coming to provide child care....that statement will speed up their processing at the POE.

A 2-3 month visit with a newborn makes little sense....unless they are coming to take care of said infant while mom goes back to work...something that is NOT allowed by B2 visa holders.

Thanks for your response, my wife is expecting in April so we are inviting also in october my sister is.

So its kind of a necessary trip. What reasoning can they give as they have not overstayed in previous visits? Also will the March visit will be a problem or the october or both? Thanks for your advice.

She may or may not face problems during April, but sure she might face problems during the October because the gap between these two trips is very small.

Reasons to stop at POE, just think practically. If an immigrant is making frequent visits on visiting visa, then that person can be treated as potential immigrant.

Guest Noah Lotte

If the arriving visa holder is coming to the US to engage in activities inconsistent with the visa they hold, they will be taken to secondary, interviewed, have their visa cancelled, and they will be sent back to their own country...and good luck getting a new visa anytime soon after their return to their own country....

Archived