Contiguous Territory Rule - Reentry from Canada or Mexico"

newbie13

Here is my situation,

I have my VISA stamping expired with previous employer on 29MAR2010. I got my extension done and need to get passport stamped if I leave US and have plans to come back.

Now if I travel to CANADA for VISA stamping and stamping gets denied ( I wish it will get approved :)), am I allowed to enter US within 30 days as per the Contiguous Territory Rule? ( Pls note my VISA stamp on passport expired but I do have the valid extension papers)

Please advise.

Now if I travel to CANADA for VISA stamping and stamping gets denied ( I wish it will get approved :)), am I allowed to enter US within 30 days as per the Contiguous Territory Rule? ( Pls note my VISA stamp on passport expired but I do have the valid extension papers)

That rule is not applicable if the person is attending for visa interview.

Hi

If the person is going to just Visit Canada/Mexico they can re-enter US using valid I-94(without Visa). But if the person the going Canada/Mexico for US Consular processing(Applying US visa), they cannot re-enter US with old I-94(without Visa).

Hope this clear doubts

If stamping is denied, you cannot re-enter.

However, if you travel to canada/mexico and do not attend a visa interview during your stay, you can come back to the US within 30 days on your valid I-94 (subject to CBP)

Can we really do this i.e. just visit canada/mexico but dont attend visa interview and come back just based on valid I-94? I was not aware, and also, yes, what about Port of Entry issues, if they dont see valid visa on the passport, but just a valid I-94. That would be risky.

Archived