Who decide on transit visa requirement at airport

Hi All,

My h1 stamp expired on passport. I am travelling to India, via london. ( NYC (JFK) - Mumbai) ) in Virgin Atlantic flight.

As a general rule I need transit visa. But I have a valid Canadian Permanent Card which can be used to travel without transit visa via london.

Now my question is at airport who will decide whether I am eligible to travel without transit visa or not? Is it Virgin atlantic ticket representative or someone from Immingration?

Thanks.

JoeF,

Thanks for your input.

So each airline have their different immigraion officials? Or its common for all airline? Can I get verify my travel documents on departure airport well before my travel date?

Immigration officials are government employees. They have nothing to do with the airlines.

The airlines are just required to comply with the laws in the countries they fly to. That usually means that they have to make sure that the people who board their planes have the appropriate visas as required by the country the plane lands in.

chakrakr,

Thanks for reply.

Yes, I am travelling from New York to Mumbai , via Heathrow, London. I am having my canadian PR valid till 2016.

Do you have any personnel experience on this? My only concern is that I am travelling from US to India and not from Canada.

Immaterial. The list of exemption simply says that you need to posses "

a valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card issued on or after 28

th June 2002; "

For Visas, your origin/destination country should match , not if you have a PR

The link is http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/visitingtheuk/datvleaflet.pdf

I have not travelled using Canadian PR but I have travelled on AP with a valid US B1 visa. Though I entered US using AP, my B1 helped me avoid DATV for UK.

• 5 months later...

Here is the update of my case.

I travelled from JFK to Mumbai via London without transit visa using my canadian PR card.

At the ticket counter there was a lady who was not aware of the rule, but there was another person who was aware of the rule and told the lady. That lady allowed us and gave the boarding pass.

When we were boarding the plane the staff at the gate again was not aware so they called someone and confirm and then allowed us to board the plane. 

At london airport there was no checking of visa so there was no issue.

Thanks.

Archived