Actual start date after H1-B approval notice is received in e-mail

Satishroy

My cap-exempt H1-B has got approved, and I know my I-94 number and my starting validity date (1/15/2013) from an e-mail USCIS sent. But I am told by my employer that they will need the original I-797 (approval notice) to allow me to start work. Is there any rule that stipulates that the employer may not allow the employee to join until the original I-797 is received despite the H1-B being approved with a current validity date?

its always better to start working after you get the org I797, have patience.

It is not that I don't have patience. I have been unemployed for almost two months because the employer delayed in applying for H1-B. USCIS has informed them that I can start work from January 15th, 2013, but they want to wait until they get the original notice.

The employer may certainly require the notice. They is no US law requiring him to allow you to start on the day you choose.

On the contrary, I would like to know whether there is any law that requires the employer to have the original approval notice before they can allow the employee to start work. If there is such a law, what is the point in the USCIS conveying the start date so expeditiously?

I have not chosen any day to start work. USCIS has communicated to the employer that I can start work on January 15th, 2013.

Archived