Can we switch from H1B to CPT ...

Rahu1234

Hi

I got my H1B visa in 2012 october 1st .I wanted to check can i switch to CPT as i want to take some courses and will i be able to switch to H1B later once my courses are complete and is it possible for me to go on CPT to india as earlier i was on F1. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I got my H1B visa in 2012 october 1st .I wanted to check can i switch to CPT as i want to take some courses and will i be able to switch to H1B later once my courses are complete and is it possible for me to go on CPT to india as earlier i was on F1. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

CPT is for F1 students. If you want to have CPT first get F1 and after completing one year course work then you can work in CPT but these days USCIS is grilling into the details of all the applicants who worked in CPT.

First off, forget CPT. Cut that acronym out of your vocabulary. CPT is dead.

Second, it would be part of an F1, so you would have to apply at a real university, change to F1, and study. No real university gives out CPT to somebody who just signed up.

But anyway, as I said, forget CPT. It does not exist anymore, except in very specific circumstances required by a particular curriculum.

Archived