Change of Status question

helpme140

Hello,

My wife entered US on H4. Got a job last year and started working on H1 after approval. She wants to come back on H4 now.

1.) Are there any other documents than 2 paystubs and I-539 form needed to change status from H1 to H4?

2.) She was counted towards the cap when her H1 was applied and approved. So, now if she changes to H4, would she be cap exempt if she wants to start working again by changing to H1 at a later point in time?

3.)Is there a change in law that makes a person wait for H1 approval before they can start working if they are changing status from H4 to H1 (provided they have been in H1 status before). Earlier, one could work only on a H1 receipt.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

1.) Are there any other documents than 2 paystubs and I-539 form needed to change status from H1 to H4?

--Plus your documentation to show you are on status on H1.

2.) She was counted towards the cap when her H1 was applied and approved. So, now if she changes to H4, would she be cap exempt if she wants to start working again by changing to H1 at a later point in time?

--Yes

3.)Is there a change in law that makes a person wait for H1 approval before they can start working if they are changing status from H4 to H1 (provided they have been in H1 status before). Earlier, one could work only on a H1 receipt.

--It's not a change in law but misinterpretation of law. USCIS gave more clarity on this recently (Pls refer Murthy bulletin few weeks back). Based on the clarity provided, one can work on reciept only if he/she is in H1 currently(applies to transfers only). All others have to wait until H1 approval. In your case, your spouse has to wait until H1 is approved.

Archived