Are L2 + EAD people eligible for Green Card?

sreenivas_sri

Hi,

I am a dependent of L1 visa holder and i got my EAD to work in USA (L2-EAD). I am working with a MNC here in USA, now my question is whether my employer can apply for "Green Card" for me while I am on valid L2 visa with EAD to work for the employer?

or Do they need to get me a H1B visa first and then only aplly for Green Card?

Please let me know the answer.

Regards,

SS

A foreign national in L2 status can be sponsored for a green card. In general, employment based petitions for permanent residency are for future positions. Therefore, the foreign national may be eligible whether he/she is working for the company on EAD, H1B status, or even not yet working for the company at all.

Hi,

Thanks for the response! If my company files for GREEN card, how long will it take to get the approval or the card?

Will it take longer than a H1B GREEN card? Will I face issues while applying?

Also when can my company apply for green card for me? Is there is specific time duration before which they cannot apply??

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

SS

The employment based permanent residency (green card) process is identical whether currently on H-1B, L-2, etc. (PERM labor certification application > I-140 petition > I-485 adjustment of status petition.) The necessary information, documentation, approvals, processing times, backlogs, etc. are well published on various immigration web sites. (In all but a few exceptional cases, it is a lengthy (many year) process.)

Hi,

Thanks for the response! If my company files for GREEN card, how long will it take to get the approval or the card?

Will it take longer than a H1B GREEN card? Will I face issues while applying?

Also when can my company apply for green card for me? Is there is specific time duration before which they cannot apply??

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

SS

Hi,

I have one more question regarding travel whil eholding L2+EAD. as mentioned i have L2+EAD to work in US and my employer wants me to travel France for about 2-3 weeks, Will my EAD be valid if I leave country and to go France and re-enter USA?

My current I-94 is till Feb 2015 and my visa is valid till July 2013 and EAD is valid till April 2014.

Please advice me on the current situation.

Regards,

SS

Archived