Travelling on EAD

Anil_Ohio

Hi Friends,

Here is my situation. I have my EAD / AP (combo card) and my I-485 is pending with RFE (for Employer letter) which we have submitted long back.

Questions:

1) Can I travel on my EAD / AP?

2) In the port of entry....Will there be any issue when I come back?

3) what documents do I need to carry while using EAD / AP

4) If I use my EAD, will I be a indepent consultant or still be employee of my GC sponsored company?

Please let me know. Any piece of information is greately appreciated.

Thanks inadvance

--Anil Kudumula

Hi Friends,

Here is my situation. I have my EAD / AP (combo card) and my I-485 is pending with RFE (for Employer letter) which we have submitted long back.

Questions:

1) Can I travel on my EAD / AP?

2) In the port of entry....Will there be any issue when I come back?

3) what documents do I need to carry while using EAD / AP

4) If I use my EAD, will I be a indepent consultant or still be employee of my GC sponsored company?

Please let me know. Any piece of information is greately appreciated.

Thanks inadvance

--Anil Kudumula

First of all did you check the status online? If they had received your reply to the RFE and have worked on it there is a possibility that the status might reflect it. An infopass appointment will help. Also, you would need to ask yourself if your date is current and any chances of getting the 485 approved when you are abroad. The following URLs given at the end should help you to understand AP better. It appears that people have successfully returned using AP when the 485 got approved while they are abroad.

1) Yes

2) Refer to the URLs given below especially the first one

3a) EAD (Letter of employment preferably + Original 485 receipt) and all the earlier H1 Papers from the date of entry into the US till the day you applied for 485 (they don't ask)

3b) Copy of the RFE reply you sent along with FedEx/USPS/UPS .. delivery confirmation ; Not sure if you made a photo copy

of the papers they sent you for RFE

3d) if the status is updated online , print out of the same, save as file OR screenshot in Word and carry it in USB :-)

3b) Your work place HR / Manager contact info on a piece of paper (don't rely on the cell phone battery). Not that they will ask but you should not blink if asked even casually.

4) Depends on whether you are still with your GC sponsored employer or you have left your GC sponsoring employer and is working for a different employer on EAD. That's why i mentioned about Employment Letter above. Remember GC is for the future. There is no rule saying you must be working with them all the time. You can leave them if I-140 is approved and 180 days have passed since you applied for 485. If you are leaving them make sure you have the I-140 approved copy; Because if they withdraw it (revoke) after approval that 'can' result in an RFE sometimes. You or your attorney 'may' need the copy (either paper or PDF).

HTH

Good Luck

Archived