H1b expiring in Dec 2012..relocating, convert to F2, look for a job and back to H1

hapfeet

Hi,

I am currently on H1B visa and employed. My H1 expires in Dec 2012. I might not find a job in the expected timeframe when my husbanf relocates. So, I will have to go on F2, since he will be on OPT.

My question is:

1) After my H1 expires, I move and find a new job on F2. When a company files for my H1, can i start immediately or do i have to wait for Oct 2013?

2) If I extend my H1 with my current employer and it gets extended for another year. Does it help in any way? Is it better to go on F2 after an H1b extension, or it won't matter because I will lose my H1 status anyways after losing my job.

Can you please help with these questions?

Thanks.

"1) After my H1 expires, I move and find a new job on F2. When a company files for my H1, can i start immediately or do i have to wait for Oct 2013?"

=> What does mean by H1 expires? Is your current employer not filing your extension?

F2 to H1b, you can start working just after approval. You can't work on receipt and don't need to wait Oct 1st. Because you are counted towards quota in last 6 years, you will be cap expemted and no need to wait.

"2) If I extend my H1 with my current employer and it gets extended for another year. Does it help in any way? Is it better to go on F2 after an H1b extension, or it won't matter because I will lose my H1 status anyways after losing my job."

=> At the day you lose your job, file COS.

"These kinds of questions have been asked over and over. Please do a little bit of search before asking..."

=> The common facts about H1b should be pinned on the first page of forum. This will stop superfluous threads. Hope administrator reads this.

Thanks all.

When my employer filed for H1 last year, it was only approved from Oct 2011 to Dec 2012. This is what I mean by H1B expires.

What i am trying to ask here is If i don't get it extended, will there be any problem? Does extension matter..

I do understand that H1 to F2 to H1, I will be CAP exempted.

Thanks again.

Archived