opt extension ending in march 2013

sri253

Hi

My opt is ending march 2013. I tried to apply h1 this year and sent the documents last week but unfirtuntely quota ended. Is there chances for me to apply h1 next year. Please give me suggestion about my situation. Is there any grace period after opt because my opt ends 11 march. Is there any way so that i could not get into f1 again..

A H-1B petition can be filed for FY2014 starting on April 1, 2013 for work starting on October 1, 2013, but cannot work during the period between March 2013 and October 2013. The attorney's post below explains the rules.

When USCIS receives a cap-subject H1B petition from a student whose post-completion OPT has expired but is within a valid 60-day grace period, that student’s F-1 status will be extended pursuant to the Cap-Gap provisions. However, work authorization pursuant to OPT will not be granted since the student was not employment authorized at the time the H1B petition was filed (there is no employment authorization to extend). You will need to obtain an updated I-20 based on the H1B Receipt Notice.

Archived