H1 to F1 to H1 Question

New2toH1

I have a MBA from US. I am on H1B currently, 6 months have passed on H1and I am thinking to go back to school this are my questions.

1) Once I apply for H1 to F1 transfer how long does it take

2) Lets say my F1 gets approved and I go back to school can I transfer back to H1 after I finish my degree without being subject to quota.

3) and do I have to wait till OCT 1 to start when I go back to H1.

I will really appreciate if you guys can please share your knowledge.

Thanks again

please consult a lawyer.

you are already counted towards H1 cap before so you can apply H1 later (from F1) without subject to cap and you can start immediately after H1 approval and not wait for 10/1.

I have a MBA from US. I am on H1B currently, 6 months have passed on H1and I am thinking to go back to school this are my questions.

1) Once I apply for H1 to F1 transfer how long does it take

2) Lets say my F1 gets approved and I go back to school can I transfer back to H1 after I finish my degree without being subject to quota.

3) and do I have to wait till OCT 1 to start when I go back to H1.

I will really appreciate if you guys can please share your knowledge.

Thanks again

• 1 year later...

Hello Mam,

I am currently on H1B. My petition is expiring in last week of Jan, 2014 and is therefore due for extension. I have stayed close to 3 years in USA on H1B so far. I now intend to go on F1 from Jan 1st week onwards for 1 year as I join US based university for my MS. I have therefore applied for i-20 which is in process. My question now is:

a) Am I allowed to go for H1B extension while my i-20 processing is on?

b) Is going for H1B extension of any use considering that I anyways would be on F1 from Jan onwards which means my H1b would get anyways cancelled.

b) Can I use same H1B petition later on post my course completion @ Ross on cap exempt basis? Also, does this hold good only even if my H1B petition has expired by the time I complete my course @ Ross which is Dec 2014.?

Thanks,
Neeraj

Archived