Urgent!!! H1b Visa expiration date different to that on I-797

RashmiG

Hi All,

This is my 4th year in US on H1b and last year (around Aug 2011) when I applied for an H1b extension while I was in US I got extension only for a year (expiring Nov/24/2012) as only my Labor was approved for my green card processing. Hence my current I797 is valid till Nov/24/2012 i.e. one year extension.

After that my employer applied for my I-140 and got it approved in Feb 2012 while I was in US. This week when I visited India and went for H1b stamping to Kolkata Consulate to re-enter US, I got a visa stamped on my passport with an expiration date of Nov/24/2014 and PED of Nov/24/2014, instead of Nov/24/2012 (current I-797's expiration date). I am confused as to whether this is two year addition was valid or is a mistake on the part of US Consulate, Kolkata.

What am I expecting the I-94 expiration date to be when I enter US? Is it going to be the Visa expiration date on my passport or the current I-797 expiration date? Please help me get to the bottom of this as I have heard that there are lot of immigration officer at the port of entry doing mistakes on this matter.

Thank you,

Subhadip

Hi All,

This is my 4th year in US on H1b and last year (around Aug 2011) when I applied for an H1b extension while I was in US I got extension only for a year (expiring Nov/24/2012) as only my Labor was approved for my green card processing. Hence my current I797 is valid till Nov/24/2012 i.e. one year extension.

After that my employer applied for my I-140 and got it approved in Feb 2012 while I was in US. This week when I visited India and went for H1b stamping to Kolkata Consulate to re-enter US, I got a visa stamped on my passport with an expiration date of Nov/24/2014 and PED of Nov/24/2014, instead of Nov/24/2012 (current I-797's expiration date). I am confused as to whether this is two year addition was valid or is a mistake on the part of US Consulate, Kolkata.

What am I expecting the I-94 expiration date to be when I enter US? Is it going to be the Visa expiration date on my passport or the current I-797 expiration date? Please help me get to the bottom of this as I have heard that there are lot of immigration officer at the port of entry doing mistakes on this matter.

Thank you,

Subhadip

Hello,

Congratulations on your Visa.. As I understand, your visa is a travel document and would be valid for you to re-enter US till Nov-24-2014. But since your H1 is valid only till Nov this year, which states that you have work authorization only till that date (not considering the fact about your GC status). I think, if you extend your H1 after Nov this year, you wouldnt need to go for visa stamping again since you have a valid visa till 2014.

This might not be entirely true and it would be best to consult an attorney..

All the best!!

Archived