Laid Off

malathisrinivas

I was working on H1(3.5 years left) as a full time employee in a big financial firm. They laid 6 people off the company including me. My green card is not yet filed. I came to know the company has sent a letter to USCIS to cancel my H1. I just wanted to know how much time will USCIS give me to search a new job before they tell me to vacate the country.

I am concerned. Attorneys please reply. Will appreciate.

Regards

Malathi.

Hi Malathi,

I recommend you to talk to Immigration attorney. I am not giving you a false hope, but it is fact that one cannot leave the country same day one is laid off, unless someone is living under a tree with no belongings. Please do not get your immigration information from internet. I know personally known people who got h1b transferred with a gap in their employment. USCIS is lenient in some cases.

Again, it is just my observation. Please contact a immigration attorney to discuss all possible scenarios. It will be worth your money.

-- Sree

Hi Malathi,

I recommend you to talk to Immigration attorney. I am not giving you a false hope, but it is fact that one cannot leave the country same day one is laid off, unless someone is living under a tree with no belongings. Please do not get your immigration information from internet.

A person on H1 who gets laid off is out of status immediately.

That is not just "Internet lore." That comes out of a USCIS memo.

I suggest you get an education before bashing people. Thank you.

I have a B1/B2 Visa Issued by very 1st company I worked for, that was issued 5 years ago for 10 years multiple entry and that is still valid for next 5 years.

The visa is irrelevant while you are in the US. A visa is an entry document.

You still need to file for COS. The I-94 shows your status. After COS approval, you would get a new I-94.

Hi JoeF,

Thanks for reply. Some of the questions coming in my mind.

1.The COS(Change of Status) is easily happened? Does any query also come on COS? And How long I can stay in USA on B2(Can I stay at least 3 months so that I can search a job)

2.Do I need to go back to India and then come on B2 after COS? or I dont need to leave USA for CoS.

3.Once I get a job and new H1 how many years the New H1 will be valid.

A. 6 years

B. 6 years - Old H1 period stay in US

4.Will this COS cause any possible future issues on my Green Card Processing?

• 2 weeks later...

Malathi,

Do not worry. I was in the same boat before. Chances of getting your COS approved are very high, provided you act quickly.

Visit a local community college/school, enroll in a ESL (English as a second lang.)/GMAT program, get your I-20 & file for a COS to F-1.

I did this within seven days from my date of layoff, got my COS to F-1 approved within a month and eventually got my H1 approved through a new employer.

So consult a good attorney and act fast. Any questions, feel free to mail me any time.

Good luck,

Sri

Questions for JoeF:

When you file for COS to B2.. and after it gets approved... You will be on B2 visa ..

How can you still file for H1B visa "TRANSFER" .. ?

since you have terminated your current H1b visa... Do you need to file for fresh H1b ?

Technically, there is no such thing as an H1 transfer.

An H1 transfer is always a new H1.

Archived