Do not come to Calgary for Visa if...

vaibh4

I have read almost all posts and threads related to H1-B renewal or first time at Calgary through this and other forums. Here is the information for prospective visitors coming to Calgary for stamping of any kind of visa.

Do not come if you have advanced degrees (MS/ PhD) in the field of chemical, chemistry, physics, biotech, materials, alloys, medicines, or anything that VO will not understand. Believe me the VO in Calgary does not understand a thing and moreover does not care how it will affect you or your company. May be VO wants to promote tourism or something along those lines because its unbelievable how many cases are subjected to Administrative processing n Calgary.

Do not come if you do not have all the documents and by that I mean everything that you will find in this forum and outside is REQUIRED. To name a few I797, I129, W-2 from all the years of stay in the US, bank statements from last 2 years, pay slips for last 1-2 years if you changed jobs etc, resumes, wedding certificates, extra copies of photos, employment verification letters, supervisor name and contact info, projects reports if you have written any, recent company annual report, organization chart showing your name, all the employees at the company with their immigration status (seriously!! my company employs 30,000 people).... I hope you are not tired reading the list but this is just some I could remember.

Do not come if you have any grey areas in your background. e.g. surname different for husband and wife; unusual surname; changed jobs; stolen/lost passport; previously admin processed etc. Also you can be subjected to admin processing if you have everything in order and clean background.

Do not come if you do not like winter weather and don't like to do nothing sitting in the hotel room. There is nothing fun to do in Calgary except for 2-3 day trip to Banff and 2-3 days in Calgary malls.

Do not come if you can't work remotely.

Living in Calgary is not cheap specifically the food as compared to the US at average or high end restaurants. If you come please come prepared that you are here for 2-4 weeks.

Please feel free to add to the list if I missed anything.

Believe me the VO in Calgary does not understand a thing and moreover does not care how it will affect you or your company.

Quite frankly, visa issuance is never never never about how it would affect you or a company. Visa issuance is never guaranteed.

If it affects the company, if your work is critical to the company, the company should have known, and have hired competent legal assistance.

If the company was too cheap to do that, then the company obviously doesn't think your work is all that important.

Quite frankly, visa issuance is never never never about how it would affect you or a company. Visa issuance is never guaranteed.

If it affects the company, if your work is critical to the company, the company should have known, and have hired competent legal assistance.

If the company was too cheap to do that, then the company obviously doesn't think your work is all that important.

Hey Joe,

How does having a competent attorney help when the Consulate wants to verify that the visa applicant pose no threat to the interests of US by working in certain specialized areas? Can an attorney help to speedup the process in such a situation?

Hey Joe,

How does having a competent attorney help when the Consulate wants to verify that the visa applicant pose no threat to the interests of US by working in certain specialized areas? Can an attorney help to speedup the process in such a situation?

A competent lawyer would have the documentation ready, for example. Being proactive goes a long way.

A competent lawyer would have the documentation ready, for example. Being proactive goes a long way.

Whatever made you think that my lawyer is not competent.... I received administrative processing letter with no further documents to be provided to the consulate. So in a sense the VO was satisfied with the documentation provided with my application. Moreover I do not chose lawfirm my company has a contract with one of the biggest lawfirm so I will have to ask the CEO et al to change it to a competent lawfirm :)

FYI I have I140 approved under EB1 Outstanding researcher category. My previous reply will details about the lawfirm. My employer is paying my hotel, food, tickets and salary while I am working remotely does that make my important to them ?

Finally !!!! Got email from the Consulate around 4 PM on 21st March to submit our passports from 8.30-11.30 AM of any working day.

We went to the Consulate on 22nd morning. The same process of security check. The lady downstairs checked our email printouts and asked the letter of administrative processing with passports. We went to the same waiting area on 10th floor. Our number was called and we submitted our documents and told her that we got email etc. She told us to have seats. Our number was called in another 10 minutes or so. The same VO lady told us that our visas are approved. The passports will be delivered with all the submitted original documents on 23rd Friday or 26th Monday.

Got email from Loomis on 22nd evening that they have been notified of the shipment. Friday morning we got email that passports are "Undeliverable". So we called Loomis again and they told us that means they are ready for pick up. We went to Loomis by cab and picked the passports. Fortunately everything was in order.

The only thing which infuriated me was I got visa stamp valid only for one year my I797 has period of 3 years. So all this hassle to get one year renewal !!!! And it looks like every time I go for renewal I will go through the same wonderful experience and get only 1 year valid stamp.

Congratulations!! Seems like you got it a little sooner than me :-). I got the visa for full 3 year term, but I haven't started my GC processing. Therefore, I am guessing that your GC application, along with extending beyond 6 years on H1B, might have something to do with you getting it renewed for a year. Regardless, you must be really happy to leave Calgary :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived