H1B approved but project is ending in May

cellb4u

Hi

I work for a university( non profit) and my H1B has been approved in February but my Professor has indicated that the current contract will not be extended after May. I am applying for new jobs but my question is after my project ends, do i have to go back to india or can i stay a few days while applying for a new job. And can i go back to OPT status (STEM extension). What options do I have now? Please kindly advise me

Thanks

Forget the OPT. That's over with.

There is no grace period on H1. If you want to stay a bit longer, you should file a COS, e.g., to B2.

Oh, and if you decide to leave the country, the employer has to pay for your return transportation, by law.

Forget the OPT. That's over with.

There is no grace period on H1. If you want to stay a bit longer, you should file a COS, e.g., to B2.

Oh, and if you decide to leave the country, the employer has to pay for your return transportation, by law.

Thanks Joe, Is there any advantage to filing for B2?

And my project ends on may 31st so do I have to leave on May 31st or before 31st?

I just want to transfer my existing H1 or apply for a new H1...once I get the receipt number then I can stay and work in USA...

Thanks Joe, Is there any advantage to filing for B2?

It keeps you legal...

And my project ends on may 31st so do I have to leave on May 31st or before 31st?

Technically, you are out of status as soon as the job ends. Practically, a few days probably won't matter much.

I just want to transfer my existing H1 or apply for a new H1...once I get the receipt number then I can stay and work in USA...

Depends. For a cap-exempt H1, yes. For an H1 that falls under the cap, the job can only start on Oct. 1.

Archived