Working for an American Vendor. Please Help

sswathi413

Hi,

Currently I am on OPT Ext and my OPT Ext expires on Oct 2012. Currently I am working directly with an American Vendor for a Client on W2 on a contract basis. I have to file my H1B in April 2012 and my prime vendor is saying that he can sponsor me with H1B and will start processing GC immediately with his sister company. The following are the things he will provide me when I want to go with this company:

• Process H1B (He will bare the fee)

• Process GC (He will bare the fee)

• Pay Terms (weekly or biweekly, percentage ratio)

• Benefits (Health Insurance, Dental Plan, Visible Plan, Life and AD&D Plan, Transportation, 401(k), COBRA)

• Bench period (2 weeks paid period and 90 days non-paid period)

• Paid Vacations (11 days per year)

The above are the above duties that I will be performing if I am becoming his employee. Can any one please suggest me is it safer to go with this vendor or not? Will there be any problems in future?

Please every one help me out so that I can move things accordingly.

Thanks

Swathi

Depends on the reputation, practice, size etc of the prospective employer. Do your due diligence about the company, management and their practices. see if you can find some of their ex-employees and ask them. No one can tell you anything about the company without any details.

H1b fees should be company's expense and try to stay away from those who ask you to pay up for it. rest seems to be fairly standard. 11 days are usually the holidays, I think.

Depends on the reputation, practice, size etc of the prospective employer. Do your due diligence about the company, management and their practices. see if you can find some of their ex-employees and ask them. No one can tell you anything about the company without any details.

H1b fees should be company's expense and try to stay away from those who ask you to pay up for it. rest seems to be fairly standard. 11 days are usually the holidays, I think.

YankeeDoodle, Thanks for the reply. He agreed on the details that I have mentioned above in a written document or in the form of email. Coming to the company, I have researched on them and they are good at processing the payments, H1b and GC on time.

But if I am going with them, after the bench period(2 weeks paid period) if my payroll does not run 1 or 2 months, Will it be a problem for me if I am on H1B or GC(Processing Stage) with them? If it is, then will it make a problem if I am going for visa stamping and got stuck for 1-3 months waiting for the visa stamping to be done?

Coming to the 11 days (5 vacations and 6 holidays).

Considering all these, Can you please suggest now as I am confused to go with an American Vendor or not?

Thanks,

Swathi

YankeeDoodle, Thanks for the reply. He agreed on the details that I have mentioned above in a written document or in the form of email. Coming to the company, I have researched on them and they are good at processing the payments, H1b and GC on time.

But if I am going with them, after the bench period(2 weeks paid period) if my payroll does not run 1 or 2 months, Will it be a problem for me if I am on H1B or GC(Processing Stage) with them? If it is, then will it make a problem if I am going for visa stamping and got stuck for 1-3 months waiting for the visa stamping to be done?

Coming to the 11 days (5 vacations and 6 holidays).

Considering all these, Can you please suggest now as I am confused to go with an American Vendor or not?

Thanks,

Swathi

Swathi, Based on the above, it looks good. Find out if you have to sign any bond to be required to work for certain time after h1and/or gc approval.

Even i have a similar offer.

A large American IT Firm is ready to do my GC as soon as i join. but the H1 transfer and GC will be done by the sister company.

That means your employer is the sister company , then the BIg American IT firm and then the client.

This would result in probklems during stamping. So i decided to keep away from them.

Again this was my personal view . Its up to you to decide.

Swathi,

Unpaid bench time can be an issue. I would recommend seeking legal advise on it. There are many consulting firms who follow this pattern. I would think that 11 days of total holiday time is kind of low, unless your cut in the billing is fairly good.

If you are confident, You should take your chances. No one become successful in life without a bit of risks. Weigh down your risks and prepare well for a fall back plan. Best of luck!

Archived