EAD for minors

For loss of breadwinner SS payments, the minor does not need to be PR, but needs to have a SSN. The eligibility is based on payments into the SS by the parent. Some things cannot be accomlished with the IRS if one only has TaxID for minors. I believe, tax rebates was one of them. These situations are not common, but it really sucks when a widow and two children cannot get SS payment after death of her husband despite being on PR track and having TaxIDs for the only reason of being on H4 and not having SS numbers.

For loss of breadwinner SS payments, the minor does not need to be PR, but needs to have a SSN. The eligibility is based on payments into the SS by the parent. Some things cannot be accomlished with the IRS if one only has TaxID for minors. I believe, tax rebates was one of them. These situations are not common, but it really sucks when a widow and two children cannot get SS payment after death of her husband despite being on PR track and having TaxIDs for the only reason of being on H4 and not having SS numbers.

the discussion is getting sidetracked a little.

But what is the pupose of the minor having the ssn?

After the death of the pr-track parent, the minor child is gonna have a rejection of the AOS application. is there a loop hole here?

Hello all: I have a similar question. My daughter is a junior now and would be a senior starting Sep13. How ever she plans to do her graduation in India and come back for post graduation. I was told by my attorney that it would be beneficial to file her EAD and also get her travel documents when I file mine and my wife's in a month or so. I do not have any plans to work or any one in my family on a EAD.

Please suggest if there is going to be any benefit in applying EAD and the travel documents for my daughter. Would appreciate a right answer.

thanks

Hello all: I have a similar question. My daughter is a junior now and would be a senior starting Sep13. How ever she plans to do her graduation in India and come back for post graduation. I was told by my attorney that it would be beneficial to file her EAD and also get her travel documents when I file mine and my wife's in a month or so. I do not have any plans to work or any one in my family on a EAD.

Please suggest if there is going to be any benefit in applying EAD and the travel documents for my daughter. Would appreciate a right answer.

thanks

travel docs essential just to let her back in in case the primary gets approved while she is overseas.

EAD is a stretch if she has no plans to work. the discussion here so far points to that.

the discussion is getting sidetracked a little.

But what is the pupose of the minor having the ssn?

After the death of the pr-track parent, the minor child is gonna have a rejection of the AOS application. is there a loop hole here?

No, the I-485 will not get denied (and certainly not rejected) if the principal dies. The minor must have a SSN to apply for SS benefits. Not sure you even read what I wrote.

JoeF,

If the world was that perfect (Only kids having ssn would sell cookies/car wash), these immigration laws wouldn't be in place. After all, who is working in car wash shops? Illegal immigrants. Girls Scout/Fund raiser car wash organizers never ask SSNs. Ultimately, the kids aren't the ones make benefit out of it. Then why they need SSN?

JoeF,

If the world was that perfect (Only kids having ssn would sell cookies/car wash), these immigration laws wouldn't be in place. After all, who is working in car wash shops? Illegal immigrants.

And you know that how?

I suggest you don't just assume things. Companies nowadays can get shut down if they employ illegals.

Girls Scout/Fund raiser car wash organizers never ask SSNs. Ultimately, the kids aren't the ones make benefit out of it. Then why they need SSN?

It doesn't matter if the kids benefit from it (indirectly, they do.) And kids born in the US of course have SSNs.

As I said, it may be considered work...

No, the I-485 will not get denied (and certainly not rejected) if the principal dies. The minor must have a SSN to apply for SS benefits. Not sure you even read what I wrote.

thanks for the replies. If 485 gets approved, the minor child can apply for ssn then. EAD is just going to allow the child to get the ssn earlier.

So, I suppose, one should apply for ead for all the family members regardless of their ages and intention to work.

• 7 years later...