H1B Visa Stamping in Canada Please help

lalitha16

Hello Everyone,

My husband and my self are planning to go to Canada for H1 B stamping . My husband studied MS here in US and got H1B approved last year (2011)

I came to US on dependent visa and got H1B in the year 2011 Feb. I came to know from forums like if you are going to canada for First time H1b stamping , then the chances are less. As we both are going together, and my husnabd studied in US and i have 1+ years of work experience in US (4 years in India) please let me know the chances of getting H1B stamping for both of us.

Thank you so much.

Lalitha.

In general, the embassy/consulate website advises people who did not study in the US to return to their home country for the Visa Interview. They say this is because the embassy staff might not be familiar with the education documents you present. This is just a general guideline.

Having said that, there have been lots of folks who have successfully stamped in Mexico/Canada and who did not get a degree in the US. In my own case, even though I had a Masters from the US, my company gave me an offer before I graduated. Immediately I accepted the offer, they filed an H1 petition for me. Since I had not graduated, it meant they filed it using my undergraduate degree from outside the US. However, I have to point out that my company is a big and well known company and lots of people from my company go for H1B stamping.

Also, going with your husband will probably give you an advantage since they will interview both of you together.

In summary, I don't think there's any hard and fast rule to this. If you have your certificate and it is in English, and it is a common degree like a Bachelors or something, I would say go for it but also be prepared just in case something goes wrong.

Archived