H1B expired, extension filed, going on vacation

vivekj

My h1b visa and the petition expired on Jan 8th. Extension was filed in Nov 2011. I need to go to India because of a family emergency. I know i cannot reenter US without extension approval notice and a new visa stamp. My question is that if i leave US before my extension is approve, will my extension application be abandoned or is it safe to leave US at this time?

Thanks,

Vivek

If you travel outside while petition is pending, you extension of stay is considered abandoned....i.e. they will approve the I-129 petition with Consular Processing....You will need to get stamping done before re-entry.....There is no set time frame on how soon you will hear about approval..... 4-6 months for regular processing.... if you have deadline, you upgrade your petition to premium, you will have update within 2 weeks

thanks for the reply. since my visa in my passport is expired so in any case i'll go through consular processing to get a new visa stamp. My concern is will there be a break in my h1b status? Because my perm and I 140 is approved, and 6 years of my h1b are also completed. 3 year extension is filed on basis of I140. Will all that be maintained if i leave US before my extension is approved? Later on when extension approval comes (which i am expecting should come anytime soon maybe 2-3 weeks), someone from my office can courier that to me in india and i can get a new visa stamp. Is there a problem with that?

Archived