Successful H1B stamping at Ottawa - Jan 17th

Sai82

Hello guys,

I had my Visa approved today at the Ottawa consulate, first time F1 to H1, EC model. I had my appointment at 8:30 am, reached the place by 8:00. It was a little cold but luckily I did not have to wait outside, I was called immediately and was asked to show the appointment and DS160 confirmation letter. I guess reaching 30 min before the appointment time should be good.

I was sent to window 7 and the person at the counter took my passport, I 797 , Employer letter and Client letter. He asked if there was any vendor, I said no.

After a while I was called for finger prints and was asked to wait for the interview. I was called at exactly 8 30 and the person at the counter ( who looked Chinese btw ) asked me these questions

Me : Good Morning

VO : Good Morning.

VO : Who do you work for and who is the end client?

Me : I work for XXX and the end client is YYY.

VO : Oh so there are no vendors ?

Me : Nope

VO : So yours is a contract position?

Me : Yes

VO : How many employees are working in your company ?

Me : xxx

( Make sure you read all the important documents and are well aware of all the details )

VO : Who is you client manager at YYY?

Me : I have no client manager, my employer supervises and monitors my work. He has control of what I do as he assigns work to me.

VO : Alright, what do you do ?

Me : Described my duties.

VO : On what technologies do you work ?

Me : Described the technologies.

VO : Ok your visa is approved and you can track it in this letter.

( He gave me a letter with the information of how I can track the passport)

Me: Thank you and have a nice day

VO : You too

I wasn't asked a single document.The basic key is confidence, speak out loud and be clear. I have read this is many forms before but yes be confident in what you say and stay positive. While I was waiting for my interview few guys got blue slip but that did not deter my confidence as I was constantly motivating myself. I don't know the reason why they got it but yes each case is different. If the person before you gets a blue slip doesn't nessesarily mean you are gonna get one. Stay cool and be positive.

This may be not be important but please dress appropriately for the interview. I saw few guys in jeans and jacket, wearing suit doesn't necessarily mean successful stamping but it shows professionalism.I am not questioning the professionalism of the guys in jeans/jackets but it shows you have put some effort. I wasn't wearing a suit but wore formals with a tie.

My roommate who is in EVC model was also interviewed by the same person and he too was asked similar questions. His visa is also approved.

In my view the main key is staying calm and being confident. Just don't care who is there and what they are listening. You are there for yourself and get your job done.

Finally my sincere thanks to Murthy form, you guys are doing a great job,

Good luck!!!!

Hello guys,

I had my Visa approved today at the Ottawa consulate, first time F1 to H1, EC model. I had my appointment at 8:30 am, reached the place by 8:00. It was a little cold but luckily I did not have to wait outside, I was called immediately and was asked to show the appointment and DS160 confirmation letter. I guess reaching 30 min before the appointment time should be good.

I was sent to window 7 and the person at the counter took my passport, I 797 , Employer letter and Client letter. He asked if there was any vendor, I said no.

After a while I was called for finger prints and was asked to wait for the interview. I was called at exactly 8 30 and the person at the counter ( who looked Chinese btw ) asked me these questions

Me : Good Morning

VO : Good Morning.

VO : Who do you work for and who is the end client?

Me : I work for XXX and the end client is YYY.

VO : Oh so there are no vendors ?

Me : Nope

VO : So yours is a contract position?

Me : Yes

VO : How many employees are working in your company ?

Me : xxx

( Make sure you read all the important documents and are well aware of all the details )

VO : Who is you client manager at YYY?

Me : I have no client manager, my employer supervises and monitors my work. He has control of what I do as he assigns work to me.

VO : Alright, what do you do ?

Me : Described my duties.

VO : On what technologies do you work ?

Me : Described the technologies.

VO : Ok your visa is approved and you can track it in this letter.

( He gave me a letter with the information of how I can track the passport)

Me: Thank you and have a nice day

VO : You too

I wasn't asked a single document.The basic key is confidence, speak out loud and be clear. I have read this is many forms before but yes be confident in what you say and stay positive. While I was waiting for my interview few guys got blue slip but that did not deter my confidence as I was constantly motivating myself. I don't know the reason why they got it but yes each case is different. If the person before you gets a blue slip doesn't nessesarily mean you are gonna get one. Stay cool and be positive.

This may be not be important but please dress appropriately for the interview. I saw few guys in jeans and jacket, wearing suit doesn't necessarily mean successful stamping but it shows professionalism.I am not questioning the professionalism of the guys in jeans/jackets but it shows you have put some effort. I wasn't wearing a suit but wore formals with a tie.

My roommate who is in EVC model was also interviewed by the same person and he too was asked similar questions. His visa is also approved.

In my view the main key is staying calm and being confident. Just don't care who is there and what they are listening. You are there for yourself and get your job done.

Finally my sincere thanks to Murthy form, you guys are doing a great job,

Good luck!!!!

Congrtas Sai..

And thanks for valuable suggestions.

i got my my visa stamped at the same location and on the same day ans was interviewed by the same chinese guy. I was the first one in the line and my appointment was at 8:00 am.

He asked me exact same questions as Sai. I totally agree with him on the dress code and the confidence level. As was told earlier, please do not reach the consulate way too early, they will not let you in before 30 minutes. It was freezing cold outside and there were no warm places around close by and I had to wait for 15 minutes.

Mine is small product development company (No EC or no EVC) with 11 employees. I would say in my situation company's good standing and credits mattered. Make sure your company's website reflects what you are answering.

Everyone who got their VISA stamped today (jan 17th), were notified that there wud be a delay in getting the passport due to technical snag in their system. As of today its not updated yet.

Good luck everyone.

I just had interview yesterday as well at the Ottawa consulate at 8:30 AM. We must have seen each other.

Hey Sai, Did u get your waybill number yet?

Here was my experience

I had my appointment at 8:30 AM and reached the embassy at around 8:00 AM. After the usual security check, went inside the embassy and there was a gentleman standing, who asked for my passport, H1B approval notice and DS 160 confirmation page.

He then routed me to window # 7. At window # 7, I was asked for my, status is Canada (visitor) and my employer letter(employment verification letter)

I was then given 2 laminated cards. One had my number on it and then other card had some instructions on it. Basically saying that you are speaking truthfully to the best of your knowledge.

Once my number was called, I went to window # 4 and was asked to provide my finger prints.

After the finger prints, I waited for about 20 minutes, for my number to be announced again and then was directed to window # 3.

This is the exact conversation I had with the visa officer (VO)

VO: How are you?

Me: Doing Great, and You?

VO: What do you work as?

Me: I work as a XXX with XXX (my company).

VO then started typing something.....

VO: How long have you been working for XXX (my company)

Me: X yrs

VO: Where did you work before?

Me: X company

VO: Where did you graduate from?

Me: X University

VO then started typing something......

VO: Your visa is approved.

He then provided me with a paper with instructions on how to track my passport delivery.

I am now waiting for my passport.

Super smooth process. Was in and out in under 50 minutes.

FYI, there was no PIMS verification done in my case.

Do let me know if you guys have any questions. Will be more than happy to help you.

Good Luck to everyone, who is planning to attend their interview.

Hi Srikanth,

How were you notified of this technical snag? As I received no such notifications either by email or by phone.

i got my my visa stamped at the same location and on the same day ans was interviewed by the same chinese guy. I was the first one in the line and my appointment was at 8:00 am.

He asked me exact same questions as Sai. I totally agree with him on the dress code and the confidence level. As was told earlier, please do not reach the consulate way too early, they will not let you in before 30 minutes. It was freezing cold outside and there were no warm places around close by and I had to wait for 15 minutes.

Mine is small product development company (No EC or no EVC) with 11 employees. I would say in my situation company's good standing and credits mattered. Make sure your company's website reflects what you are answering.

Everyone who got their VISA stamped today (jan 17th), were notified that there wud be a delay in getting the passport due to technical snag in their system. As of today its not updated yet.

Good luck everyone.

Yes , my friend was asked Vendor Letter. He is going to post his experience shortly.

@Srikanth : My friend and I did not get any information about the delay in getting the passport, where did you get that information ?

@gabreigns : Nope I haven't received the waybill number yet ?

Hi All,

My H1B Visa approved at Ottawa Consulate on Jan 17th, mine is EVC model. Sai friend specified earlier in this post.

I reached Consulate at 8:00 AM and my appointment was at 8:30AM, So I was allowed directly inside after showing D160 Confirmation and Appointment Leter.If any electronic items are with you, need to leave at locker at entrance,better not to take such items for interview.A person will direct you to go to Counter 7 and submitted Passport, I797, Employer letter, Client Letter and Vendor Letter (Since mine is EVC model) . Person at Counter 7 will give you token number , and asked to sit for your turn.Next you will be called for finger printing according to your token number, after that asked to wait for interview.

At Counter 2 VO called my number for interview.

Me: Good Morning Sir, how are you?

VO: Fine, Thank you.

ME: Handed Over token number to VO.

VO: Who is your Client

ME: XXX

VO: Who is your employer:

ME: xxx

VO: What is your position at your Company.

Me: I work as xxx at xxx(employer).

VO: How many employees in your company.

ME: xx employees.

VO: Who is your Supervisor

ME: XX, my employer ( Don't specify Client manager name here)

VO: How do you communicate

ME: Weekly Calls.

VO: Any Vendors in between.

Me: Yes specified the name, he noted down on sheet of paper my employer name, Vendor name and Client name.

VO: Only one Vendor.

ME: Yes only one Vendor.

VO: What are your roles and responsibilities. ( VO is looking for more info here, asking questions for clarifications, multiple questions asked here)

Me: Explained my day to day work , my Certification in xx field.

VO:When you Started Working for this Client.

ME: From past xx months.

VO: Who was your previous Client.

ME: XXX was my previous Client.

VO: When you started working for this employer.

ME: Working from past xx years.

VO: I am approving your Visa, you can track you passport at this link. (Given White Slip which has directions to track the Passport, VO returned my I 797 )

ME: Thank You.

No other Documents were asked, documents which I have submitted at Counter 7 were sufficient.

@vks009 : You can logon to http://usvisa-info.com and select the country Canada

You will be directed to a new website and you will find all the information there for appointment .

@ sai / @gabreigns

The visa office himself told at the end of my interview. Here are his exact words.

VO: There is technical snag on our systems which might delay getting your passport. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your petition/interview/documentation. He handed over a slip to how to track my passport.

Me: Officer Did I get my visa

VO: Yes you did its just the problem on our side.

FYI: Its the same explanation given to all the others that followed me ( as i was the first one in the token list) after they got their visa.

Today I called up the consulate and asked her if i need to extend my trip as my return ticket on friday. She checked in the system based on my passport number and asked me to reschedule it to a later date. She probably was referring to PIMs ( i heard her say that word, she had UK accent, and she mentioned about PIMs atleast 3 times during my conversation). One of my friend told me that PIMs is down as their attorney was trying to check/update PIMS. Further she said that, for that to be up and running again it would take from 1 hour - 2 days. Then once that system has our visa info fed in, then they will print it and generate a dhl tracking number within 24 hrs. Which means they will have the tracking number by thursday EOD. and then 2 business days for it to be at DHL, which is monday.(Sat, Sun holidays).

Based on all these I will wait for the dhl info to be updated by EOD today. If it is then i dont have to reschedule else..more money :))

@Sai82

Just got my Waybill number from Loomis.

Dear gabreigns,

Your passport has been picked up from the Consular Section and within the next few days you will be able to pick it up at:

LOOMIS Ottawa HOLD FOR PICKUP

46 AURIGA DRIVE

NEPEAN, ON

K2E7Y3

Your Waybill Number is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am hoping you get yours soon too.

Hello Guys,

My passport is ready to be picked up.

@gabreigns : I am sure yours would be same status.

@srikanth730: The VO must have have checked PIMS during my interview and I am assuming it's fine so he did not mention anything about delay to me.

Good Luck everyone.

@ sai / @gabreigns

The visa office himself told at the end of my interview. Here are his exact words.

VO: There is technical snag on our systems which might delay getting your passport. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your petition/interview/documentation. He handed over a slip to how to track my passport.

FYI: Its the same explanation given to all the others that followed me ( as i was the first one in the token list) after they got their visa.

Today I called up the consulate and asked her if i need to extend my trip as my return ticket on friday. She checked in the system based on my passport number and asked me to reschedule it to a later date. She probably was referring to PIMs ( i heard her say that word, she had UK accent, and she mentioned about PIMs atleast 3 times during my conversation). One of my friend told me that PIMs is down as their attorney was trying to check/update PIMS. Further she said that, for that to be up and running again it would take from 1 hour - 2 days. Then once that system has our visa info fed in, then they will print it and generate a dhl tracking number within 24 hrs. Which means they will have the tracking number by thursday EOD. and then 2 business days for it to be at DHL, which is monday.(Sat, Sun holidays).

Based on all these I will wait for the dhl info to be updated by EOD today. If it is then i dont have to reschedule else..more money :))

###############################################

@Srikanth and @Sai

Hey guys....

Just wanted to update you guys that I picked up my passport this morning from the DHL place on Auriga Drive.

It was actually ready to be picked up last night.

So my Interview was on January 17th and my passport was ready to be picked up on January 18th.

That is impressively quick turnaround. I am wondering if they verified my PIMS or not.

Oh well plan on driving back soon.

Wish you guys all the best.

@skumar5, can you please post the letter formats you went with. One for the client letter and one for vendor

Your help is much appreciated.

Hi All,

My H1B Visa approved at Ottawa Consulate on Jan 17th, mine is EVC model. Sai friend specified earlier in this post.

I reached Consulate at 8:00 AM and my appointment was at 8:30AM, So I was allowed directly inside after showing D160 Confirmation and Appointment Leter.If any electronic items are with you, need to leave at locker at entrance,better not to take such items for interview.A person will direct you to go to Counter 7 and submitted Passport, I797, Employer letter, Client Letter and Vendor Letter (Since mine is EVC model) . Person at Counter 7 will give you token number , and asked to sit for your turn.Next you will be called for finger printing according to your token number, after that asked to wait for interview.

At Counter 2 VO called my number for interview.

Me: Good Morning Sir, how are you?

VO: Fine, Thank you.

ME: Handed Over token number to VO.

VO: Who is your Client

ME: XXX

VO: Who is your employer:

ME: xxx

VO: What is your position at your Company.

Me: I work as xxx at xxx(employer).

VO: How many employees in your company.

ME: xx employees.

VO: Who is your Supervisor

ME: XX, my employer ( Don't specify Client manager name here)

VO: How do you communicate

ME: Weekly Calls.

VO: Any Vendors in between.

Me: Yes specified the name, he noted down on sheet of paper my employer name, Vendor name and Client name.

VO: Only one Vendor.

ME: Yes only one Vendor.

VO: What are your roles and responsibilities. ( VO is looking for more info here, asking questions for clarifications, multiple questions asked here)

Me: Explained my day to day work , my Certification in xx field.

VO:When you Started Working for this Client.

ME: From past xx months.

VO: Who was your previous Client.

ME: XXX was my previous Client.

VO: When you started working for this employer.

ME: Working from past xx years.

VO: I am approving your Visa, you can track you passport at this link. (Given White Slip which has directions to track the Passport, VO returned my I 797 )

ME: Thank You.

No other Documents were asked, documents which I have submitted at Counter 7 were sufficient.

@vks009 : You can logon to http://usvisa-info.com and select the country Canada

You will be directed to a new website and you will find all the information there for appointment .

Pickedup my Passport today from DHL.

@ Srinivas_VSK: For EVC model make sure Client name , Vendor name & Employer name specified in both letters.Below is format in both letter.

1st Para, Short Description of Client/Vendor.

2nd Para, ( Described Contract between Client , Vendor, Employer)

3rd Para, Name of my project, Roles and Responsibilities, Start date of Project also specified its longterm project.

Last Para, (Described My employer has full control of salary & benefits etc. ). Client/vendor has no control on me.

Who are attending Visa at Ottawa my suggestion is impress VO by your roles and responsibilities, tell something excites VO. After replying my roles and responsibilities, he was totally impressed with that.

Congrats. im also planning to go for h1b stamping.

One question for u.

How come there is no Client manager?.Im in EC model.my employer is my supervisor(assigning work,deliverables etc.,) but there is also client manager who do stuff like approving timesheets,getting system access,approvals.etc.,

if i tell there is client manager will it ruin the chances of getting visa.

Pickedup my Passport today from DHL.

@ Srinivas_VSK: For EVC model make sure Client name , Vendor name & Employer name specified in both letters.Below is format in both letter.

1st Para, Short Description of Client/Vendor.

2nd Para, ( Described Contract between Client , Vendor, Employer)

3rd Para, Name of my project, Roles and Responsibilities, Start date of Project also specified its longterm project.

Last Para, (Described My employer has full control of salary & benefits etc. ). Client/vendor has no control on me.

Who are attending Visa at Ottawa my suggestion is impress VO by your roles and responsibilities, tell something excites VO. After replying my roles and responsibilities, he was totally impressed with that.

Congrats skumar5 on getting visa approved !! , thanks for all your efforts on explaining your interview process.

I have a question regarding H1B amendment , Did you had to get your H1B amended ?, is the VO looking specifically at the I129,LCA and the address in the client letter to see if they match ?.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi srikanth,

I went to us stamping today on april 10 and was today the visa is approved and it will take 2 to 3 days to get the passport as there is some problem in their system and everything is clear in my end. Can you please let me know whether u got your passport back and how long it took for you to get it back.

james

@ sai / @gabreigns

Hi srikanth,

I went to us stamping today on april 10 and was today the visa is approved and it will take 2 to 3 days to get the passport as there is some problem in their system and everything is clear in my end. Can you please let me know whether u got your passport back and how long it took for you to get it back.

james

Archived