legal implications - Ownership of company in india while on H1B and working in USA

raoatlaw

Need to know the legal implications:

Issue: I own a company in india (title: proprietor )(since i dont have A green card i established by registering this company in India) which provides services like Training/ consulting (remotely) and across international borders, while im in USA working on H1B visa for a consulting company .

Question/Concern: Are there any issues and legal implications that i need to protect my self on my status while owning and maintaining the company and remotely working for the same.. while presently residing in USA on H1B status working for a US based consulting company.

You can own a company, here or abroad, but you can not work for that company, not even for free, while in the US on H1.

On H1, you are generally also a US tax resident, meaning that you have to declare your worldwide income on your US tax returns. You may not get taxed for foreign income due to tax agreements that prevent double taxation, but you have to declare the foreign income.

Archived