Travel on H4 while H1 is pending

slopeofhope

I’m on H4 status. Applied for H1B in Aug11 with COS application to change my status from H4 to H1 upon H1 approval. Recently I have received a RFE with time until Jan30 to respond. Now I had to travel to India because of emergency. Talking my Attorney and browsing some forums I understand that my COS application is void now as I left U.S while my H1 application is pending.

If my H1 is approved while I’m in India I know that I have to go to visa stamping which I hate because of fear of rejection. Alternatively, can I come to U.S on H4 and apply a new COS application to change status from H4 to H1? This way I can avoid going for visa stamping for now, Am I introducing more risk or scrutiny this way?

Can I come to U.S while H1 is pending and apply new COS?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Generally, if a nonimmigrant travels abroad while a change of status application is pending the application is abandoned. However, the H1B petition may still be approved for consular processing. In order to change status from H-4 to H-1B in the U.S. one would need to file a new I-129 petition with request to change status. Please schedule a consultation with a qualified immigration attorney to discuss the specific issues with your case and the different options that may be available to you.

Archived