I-485 medical examination

innewyork

i-485 medical examination

First of all congratulations to everyone who's date is current and now you have to get the mandatory medical examination done for I-485 adjustment of status. Below I would like to highlight some word of caution. As always use your own discretion and the material provided below is only to save you some money and headache- well not some ,actually lots of money.

1. Just because you want to file I-485 , don't be in a hurry. Take a deep breath,relax and look at all the documents needed for you to file the I-485.

2. USCIS is very specific that the names match in the passport and in the birth certificate. If the names don't match. You have to get an affidavit signed by one of your parents confirming your full name and get it notarized. Ask your lawyer about this.

3.Doctors use this immigration rush to make quick money out of you. So, please don't fall prey. In 2011 doctors charge anywhere between 175-225 dollars for them to sign off on the I-693 firm needed for I-485 medical examination. You can look up the designated USCIS civil surgeons in your area and shop around to find out which doctor will charge you 175 as compared to something higher. You can find the designated uscis doctors at the below link. Please note that you cannot go to any other doctor except the USCIS designated ones.

https://egov.uscis.g...office_type=CIV

4. When you go to the doctor for medical examination, please don't sign anything upfront . Please read everything they tell you to sign. Most of them add fine prints charging you 25-50 dollars of unnecessary charges.

5. Doctors generally conduct the tuberculosis skin test

http://www.******************8.htm

The doctor injects a TB bacterium and looks for hypersensitive reaction on the skin in about 48-72 hours. This constitutes two visits to the doctor. If you test positive, then mostly you have latent TB and they send you for an chest X-ray to confirm everything is OK. Again remember chest X-ray is covered 100% by insurance. So, don't pay out of our pocket. Find out from your insurance provider and make an informed decision.In the same two visits they send you for blood work to determine what kinds of diseases your body is immune to. I would recommend getting the blood work and going to your primary physician whom you totally trust to understand what vaccinations you really need. Also additionally you can look at the below link for the vaccination requirements. there is a beautiful table which CDC has put up for the vaccination requirements.

http://www.cdc.gov/i...structions.html

6. IF you don't have records that you have had vaccinations from your home country ,then you have to get yourself vaccinated for the ones your doctor determines is needed. Now for the cost

Please remember that most insurances today cover in full for all preventive vaccinations. They cover 100% for administering the vaccine as well as the vaccine cost. You can even go to wallgreens and get all the vaccinations. The insurance company will reimburse you after. Please enquire with your insurance company. The USCIS doctor will urge you to take vaccinations under her and charge you in full which will come to about 200 dollars. Instead tell them that you will get yourself vaccinated and come back with your reports. Again, don't be in a rush, 2-3 days of delay won't make any difference.

7.Once you have all your immunization requirements satisfied. The last step is where your doctor will sign off the I-693 form. Make sure you review the form from top to bottom and address any discrepancies before you pay the fee. This is very important, most people are in a hurry and don't read the form before it is sealed by the doctor. Remember, once it's sealed you cannot break open the envelope. So, please be aware.

Please note that if there is any discrepancy in the name on the birth certificate, if both parents' names do not appear in full, if the birth is registered more than one year after the birth, or any other pertinent information is missing from the birth certificate, then it is necessary to provide TWO (not one) affidavits of birth. In addition to the two birth affidavits, the I-485 applicant should also provide secondary evidence of birth (e.g. school record, hospital record, religious record).

Me and my wife had our first appointment for medicals yesterday. Doctors fee is $118 per person.

Doctor told us to go to local health department for all the shots and tb test.

Tuberculosis test done for free at health department

I only have MMR and Tdap vaccine to take. If there is children at home health department gives tdap for free for parents. Only expense is MMR which is $50

For STS test we had to go to a hospital lab. the cost is yet to be billed.

What is left is a follow up visit after all the shots are done and the doctor told only one of us have to be here as its basically handing out sealed envelope.

thanks

zk

Attorney19,

I have a question related to your post. I have birth certificate that I got from the Municipal office in my area.

It has a date of 2005. It lists my name in a different format with initials of my father's name followed by my name (as is normal in India).

So I got an affidavit, which lists my full passport name and my parent's full names.

But only thing is, my father's name appears full (His Name followed by His father's name) in the affidavit.

But in my passport, my father's name is just the first part of it (His Name). It's not a different name but just not the full name.

Will this be an issue?

Thanks

Z

Please note that if there is any discrepancy in the name on the birth certificate, if both parents' names do not appear in full, if the birth is registered more than one year after the birth, or any other pertinent information is missing from the birth certificate, then it is necessary to provide TWO (not one) affidavits of birth. In addition to the two birth affidavits, the I-485 applicant should also provide secondary evidence of birth (e.g. school record, hospital record, religious record).

Archived