Giving Up H1B for School

Shashanks

Hi Guys,

I am working full time with a US based company but after working for so many years i am ready to go back to school for MBA. I gave GMAT and TOEFL in July'2011 and have been accepted for Fall'2012 session in an IVY League Business School in MA. I have received my acceptance letter from school.

I am already working and i don't want to leave my job until June/July'2012. I am planning to resign in June'12 end and after that i will travel back home and spend some quality time with my family before i coem back to school.

My Question is what will be required for me to get my visa status changed? I want to get my F1 VISA stamped back home , for that do i need to submit an application first to cancel my current H1B working VISA and once it's approved i can schedule a stamping date for my F1 or what?

I have my own savings to show for financial help etc but i don't know how to do go for visa status change,

Any inputs on this will be highly appreciated.

Wishing you all the best for your VISA applications and concerns.

Thanks,

Shashank

Once you resign, your company should inform about it to USCIS. While stamping, they will mark your H1 (if valid) in your passport as cancelled and give you F1 (if approved). For F1, you need to compile all the documents, make sure to bring your I-20 from school you are going to attend, arrange your finances. Since F1 is a visa with non immigrant intention, you need to make sure that you have strong ties back home, so that u will come back once done with studies. These are few suggestions i can think of. Hope it helps.

Thanks for all responses.

Also even though i have sufficient funds should i show that i have a sponsor (my family friend) as back up?

I have been in Legal Status through out my stay in US, but i am scared what if they question me that whhy i am leaving job and moving to F1 status.

And should i schedule my Visa Interview as soon as i reach india or should i wait and get it stamped 2 weeks before i want to travel back to US?

Just trying to be cautious so asking for respsone from you all.

Thanks,

Shahshank

Archived