1-797 approved but extension of stay denied

ketanbparekh

Dear All, I am in confusing situation.

I was working for a company x, got laid off and they notified uscis after 2days. I went for searching job, gave interviews and got offered after second week. By third week my employer filed for h1b transfer in premium processing.

We got query, we submitted required documents. We got receipt by email of I-797 approval for 1 year. We then got the hard copy with approved i-797 and a letter saying my i-797 is approved but my extension of stay is denied (did not got the new I-94 so payroll cannot be generated). Because the time my visa got revoked and new petition filed has 14 day gap so my status is not maintained. It also says my approved H1B I-129 has been sent to Mumbai Consulate.

I had earlier got visa stamped this year with the old company till Sep 2013. What should I do? My employer says you can goto Canada, Mexico and come back to get new i-94 back. Do I need to goto Mumbai consulate for stamping again even if I have visa till Sep 2013. How long I can stay in the country.

Thanks, please provide me Guidance.

Thanks for your reply.

I asked today One attorney, she told me technically my visa (till Sep 2013 with old employer) is not valid as USCIS knows I have been out of status so If I plan to go out of country and come back that might not work with the same visa. The system is not perfect, it might occur that I may be allowed to come in at Port of Entry, but if they later found this then it will be problem in the future.

She suggested me to go for stamping that is the legal route. Even though she told many have done like going to Canada and came back without stamping.

What do you guys think is the best option or any other suggestions.

Thanks In Advance,

Thanks all for your reply I appreciate it. I asked couple of attorneys, they suggested stamping as the legal route. If I wish to take risk then try for Bahamas, Mexico. I told them I want to have a proper sleep at night without worrying so I prefer stamping in Mumbai. Even If I get stuck up there I will accept that was written in my destiny.

Does anyone know, will it be tough to get new visa stamped even if my I-797 is approved, what difficulty I may face or there are more chances of me getting stuck up there.They will surely ask me why I went out of status.

Thanks in Advance.

Archived