reg filing I 140 and changing employer

rockks

Hi,

I am presently an employee of a desi consulting firm and working as a consultant to a client, my employer has recently filed my labor for GC process and it was approved.

I am following up with him regarding filing I 140, for which he said he would do that in a month's time.

Now i got a opportunity as a full time employee for a company and i am interested in taking that, my H1 B extension is under process so once it gets approved I want to shift to this new company.

As my GC labor is approved I am trying to press my employer to file my I 140 so that i can quote this date once i move to new employer

Now my question is it definitely required for my present employer to file my i 140 when he is holding my H1 or can he also file after i transfer my H1to new company ?

if it is required to file I 140 when i am on his H1, then can i quote the date even though i am not on his H1 when my I 140 gets approved ?

Can somebody pls. reply to this.

Thanks.

Generally, the PERM process is for future employment and therefore it is not required to work for the sponsoring employer when preparing and filing the PERM application, I-140 or I-485 petition. Therefore, your current employer could file an I-140 petition on your behalf even if you are no longer employed by them, as long as the filing of the I-140 is legitimate regarding a future position. If you have additional questions please contact a qualified U.S. immigration attorney directly.

Archived