Green Card Process > When to Begin

asn01

I have been with my current company for almost 2 years and got my H-1B last October. Before that, I was on OPT. I would like know, what would be a good time to initiate the green card process and how should I go about it?

I have a Master's degree in Computer Science from USA, so which Green Card category should I file for or is it at the discretion of the employer?

Thanks in advance.

Generally, it is advisable to begin the PERM green card process as early as possible as delays can occur. Which employment-based category an individual will fall into depends on the minimum requirements of the position. Therefore, if the position being applied for requires at least a U.S. Master’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent, with an alternative qualification of nothing less than a Bachelor’s degree and five years of progressive experience, the position will qualify for EB2. The Murthy Law Firm has a very well-regarded Green Card Department with extensive experience who would be able to provide you with excellent assistance. Therefore, if you have further questions please feel free to call our office to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys.

• 1 month later...

If you have filed your employment based green card petition in either EB1, EB2 or EB3 and you are not eligible to file your adjustment of status application only because you are from a country for which priority date is not current like India China, then the extension is based on increments of 3 years until a decision is made

However if you have filed an employment based peition or an application for adjustment of status; and

365 days have passed since the filing of labor certification form ETA-750 or 365 days have passed since filing of EB immigrant petition then the extension is based on increments of 1 year at a time until a decision is made

Archived