I-140 - Receipt Number

trackit

My employer/lawyer recently filed for my I-140. I asked her for the Receipt Number but she declined to give me stating that there is some rule against giving that to prospective employees. Is there some truth to this? Or is this just a paranoid employer who is afraid that I will leave the company?

Please let me know.

thanks for the reply ... Is there some way I can persuade her to give me the details? Are there any web resources to suggest that it is OK to give the employee the receipt no?

Or is there a way to find the receipt number using the A# (this is my second filing and I have an A#) ... please advise!

I appreciate your words of wisdom, Belle - but it is not helping me!

My intent to get the I140 receipt number is only to track it (as my name says) not for anything else. The ER has had an experience with some employee where s/he tried to port the PD by going to some other employer.

If one could choose the terms of one's life all the time, then this would not be called Life!

Why do you need a receipt for that? There is really nothing to track (other when you PD becomes current), and if you go away, you will retain your PD, there is nothing she can do about it. She's a bitter person on a revenge streak.

My question again - why do you want to work for such an employer? You probably have years before you will be able to file your green card, and why in the world would you want to waste them? You are not going to get them back, you know.

The bottom line is that we do choose the terms of our life. And you choose to go work for that person every morning you show up for work.

In remembering Steve Jobs, here are a couple of bits of wisdom from him.

“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle.” – Steve Jobs

"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything -- all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish." – Steve Jobs

See, now I have my I140 filed again (in EB2 - I have my PD from my first filing in EB3). I intend to leave the company once my I140 is approved. I am told once that is approved, I can send a letter to USCIS letting them know to use my PD from my first filing.

If I leave the ER now, would she be able to revoke my I140 (EB2)? If so, this process has taken a long time, I don't want to burn it at the last mile!

Again some context here:

My PD is from Apr 2005 in EB3. I filed for 485 when the floodgates opened in Jul/Aug 2007 and am on EAD/AP. I decided to refile in EB2 and started that process about a year back. My PERM got cleared and my I 140 was filed about 40 days back. I am told the process is that once my I140 gets approved, I can request USCIS to use my PD from my EB3 filing. So I have come this far in this process and I don't want to do something and have my I140 revoked by my ER.

Talk to a lawyer whether AC21 will apply to your EB2 filing or EB3 only. The employer may withdraw an I-140 petition at any time, but AC21 protects you from denial.

There is no need to send any letter for you because the earlier PD has already been assigned to your I-485 case. You may have to ask the USCIS to use the second I-140 for your eligibility, aka interfile I-140 with your pending I-485.

"So to send the letter, would I need to have the (second) I140 receipt number?"

Generally, yes, however, you may have been interfiled already, if your A number was on the second I-140 application. Take an InfoPass and ask. Or you can file a FOIA request for all of your immgrant petitions, but that will take time.

Archived