Post F1 Visa and OPT steps for non-H1B pursuer

Dear all,

I am looking for some advice.

I am on F1 visa. I completed my studies, then I worked on OPT and STEM OPT. My STEM OPT expires in August 2024. I do not want to switch to a H1B visa, I did not apply for H1B, at least not for the current year. What should be my next step to properly exit U.S.? However, note, I would like to keep the option of returning to U.S. (in foreseeable future, say 2026-27) to work on either J1 or H1B or L1 open.

In particular, I would like to know what to do with the following:

1. SSN
  2. Bank accounts
  3. 401Ks
  4. Taxes

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Maru

The SSN is your's for life.

You can obviously close your bank accounts whenever you like.

401(k) is private investment, that continues.

You can file a tax return for 2024 online from anywhere in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you @JoeF!

I have follow-up questions. I will keep my bank accounts open and say I make a personal investment account with Merrill Lynch/Robinhood or park some money in CDs/bonds. In this scenario, I would have no personal income is US but will probably have realized gains/losses from stocks and/or interest from stocks/bonds/CDs. How would future taxes - in years 2025, 2026... - work? Note, I can provide a legal physical address in the United States for this period, just that I won't be physically present in the US for these years nor will I keep an active visa. Are there any legalities that prevent me from going down this path?

Thanks in advance for your help.