Successful H1B stamping with DUI

I owe to this community a lot. Hence sharing my experience so others are not too afraid to go for stamping with DUI history. 

I had DUI in Dec 2017. By Nov 2018, I had finished all the court order, classes, community work. I did no contest at California. I did not travel to India for various reasons including fear of getting struck. 

Back in Nov 2023, I booked my appointment for biometric and interview at US consulate Hyderabad, IN for 6 and 7 May. 

On 6th biometric done. No issues. 
On 7th: 

VO: Good morning, what’s your name , job title? 
me: told

VO: oh, you are coming for stamping after a long time. Wait, you have a DUI too. Tell me about it. 
me: explained

VO: what did you get pulled for? 
Me: explained I was going 10 MPH slower than 65 limit at 1:30 am in the morning so caught attention. 
VO smiled.

VO: how did you contest? 
me: no contest

VO: Not guilty?

me: No. I pleaded No contest. Accepted court order and proceeded. 
VO: give me court discovery and any other case related document. 

VI: checked  for few minutes. I am good with all the paper work. You have to do physician panel evaluation. Go to window X. My colleague will take your papers and scan it. 

I thanked VO and went to window X. Submitted documents. Come back hotel. 

Called CMM Hyderabad. Doctors were out to Bangkok for a conference. No appointment until 15th May. 
Booked online appointment and went back to my hometown same day. 

7th May : Ds 160 status refused

15th May: reached CMM at 9 am but they did not start US visa until 9:30 am. Also, they asked each and every paper work related to DUI. Glad I was carrying them. They were not satisfied with court discovery which was strange. Then they did general wellness / physical check , blood work, vision test , weight, height ans BP check. 

My BP came back 160/110. But asked me to wait for 20 Minutes to check again. 160/100 after 20 minutes. It was already noon by that time. 

Sent me upstairs to meet doctor. Doctor asked few questions related to DUI. Doctor told me “looks like you learned your lesson.”

He said you have high BP. Do you take any medication? He suggested few. He also said BP , vision etc. won’t be reported to consulate (I think he said that).

waited outside for 30-45 minutes. They gave me a CD and said keep it with you. May need it when you enter US. Also, said they would send the report in 5-6 days. But in case something comes in my TB or blood test (for STD I guess) , they would call me back for test again. 

From 15th to 17th, I kept my finger crossed so I don’t get another round of test for TB. Heard from others, it takes 6-8 weeks. 

anyways, I was about to call them and ask about test on Saturday, 18th May. But they sent an email saying report has been shared with consulate. Did not say it was good or bad. 

22nd May: status refused but date updates 

24th: Approved 

30th May: Issued

Finally, I received my passport today on 3rd June. Quickly checked my name and DOB, employer name and expiry date. All good. 

My 2 cents: don’t drink and drive ever. It’s not worth the pain. Don’t discuss with my attorney in US. They don’t have any idea about stamping. They would scare you to squeeze some money out of you. Lastly. Don’t worry. Mistakes happens. Move on. 

Thank you. 

Hi, it's nice to hear that from physical evaluation to visa approval- it took you less than 10 days!!

I went thru the same last year and it took 8 weeks! Now I am due to go to India next year for my visa stamping. Do you think it'll take 8 weeks or are there special cases for shorter time? My DUI case went thru a pretrial intervention and i got the case expunged thru my lawyer.

Any advice would help in this matter! I can't be away from work for 8-10 weeks like last time.

Thanks.

On 6/3/2024 at 11:18 AM, Pobox1984 said:

I owe to this community a lot. Hence sharing my experience so others are not too afraid to go for stamping with DUI history. 

I had DUI in Dec 2017. By Nov 2018, I had finished all the court order, classes, community work. I did no contest at California. I did not travel to India for various reasons including fear of getting struck. 

Back in Nov 2023, I booked my appointment for biometric and interview at US consulate Hyderabad, IN for 6 and 7 May. 

On 6th biometric done. No issues. 
On 7th: 

VO: Good morning, what’s your name , job title? 
me: told

VO: oh, you are coming for stamping after a long time. Wait, you have a DUI too. Tell me about it. 
me: explained

VO: what did you get pulled for? 
Me: explained I was going 10 MPH slower than 65 limit at 1:30 am in the morning so caught attention. 
VO smiled.

VO: how did you contest? 
me: no contest

VO: Not guilty?

me: No. I pleaded No contest. Accepted court order and proceeded. 
VO: give me court discovery and any other case related document. 

VI: checked  for few minutes. I am good with all the paper work. You have to do physician panel evaluation. Go to window X. My colleague will take your papers and scan it. 

I thanked VO and went to window X. Submitted documents. Come back hotel. 

Called CMM Hyderabad. Doctors were out to Bangkok for a conference. No appointment until 15th May. 
Booked online appointment and went back to my hometown same day. 

7th May : Ds 160 status refused

15th May: reached CMM at 9 am but they did not start US visa until 9:30 am. Also, they asked each and every paper work related to DUI. Glad I was carrying them. They were not satisfied with court discovery which was strange. Then they did general wellness / physical check , blood work, vision test , weight, height ans BP check. 

My BP came back 160/110. But asked me to wait for 20 Minutes to check again. 160/100 after 20 minutes. It was already noon by that time. 

Sent me upstairs to meet doctor. Doctor asked few questions related to DUI. Doctor told me “looks like you learned your lesson.”

He said you have high BP. Do you take any medication? He suggested few. He also said BP , vision etc. won’t be reported to consulate (I think he said that).

waited outside for 30-45 minutes. They gave me a CD and said keep it with you. May need it when you enter US. Also, said they would send the report in 5-6 days. But in case something comes in my TB or blood test (for STD I guess) , they would call me back for test again. 

From 15th to 17th, I kept my finger crossed so I don’t get another round of test for TB. Heard from others, it takes 6-8 weeks. 

anyways, I was about to call them and ask about test on Saturday, 18th May. But they sent an email saying report has been shared with consulate. Did not say it was good or bad. 

22nd May: status refused but date updates 

24th: Approved 

30th May: Issued

Finally, I received my passport today on 3rd June. Quickly checked my name and DOB, employer name and expiry date. All good. 

My 2 cents: don’t drink and drive ever. It’s not worth the pain. Don’t discuss with my attorney in US. They don’t have any idea about stamping. They would scare you to squeeze some money out of you. Lastly. Don’t worry. Mistakes happens. Move on. 

Thank you. 

Congratulations for last time. I think, it can take shorter next time as you did panel evaluation. They should have the record from first time so should take shorter. 

also, the pilot program for H1B visa stamping within USA should extend so that we can apply in the US itself. It would be less painful. 

On expungement, 

While my lawyer was okay, she has lot of cases and was not very excited to expunge my case. When I was in 3 month class for DUI, the instructor was from a court. She mentioned I could do it myself. 

6 months after I finished all the court orders, I filed for early probation termination. I represented myself and was denied because it was too early. I was given a date 6 months after (March 2020). But covid hit so date was automatically postponed for another 6 months. In Sep 2020, again I represented myself and judge asked why I should be granted early probation termination. I explained. Judge asked state if they have any objections. She sais no. Judge granted me early probation termination. Judge was actually very sympathetic. He was kind hearted. Same day, I filled for expunge or dismiss. Exactly after 2 weeks. I got my dismiss letter in mail. 

Reason for sharing: Lawyers take $1000-1500 for expunging. But you can do it yourself, also faster. Lawyer asked me to wait 3 years to expunge but I did it in 1.5 years. Could have 1 year but covid hit. 

It's very strange. You are the only person I've heard from that got away within 10 days of medical evaluation submission to visa approval. Everyone else from all other forums, went thru the process every time they went to India fr stamping and spent 8-10 weeks each time.

Wondering how is your case different than mine? Is there a way to get this done quicker?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bring every single document related to DUI. Because CMM asked me everything. Arrest record (police discovery) , classes attended, AA , certification from MADD, Community work. I explained them they are already part of court docket but the lady was adamant.