Minor kids Name change in Passport and H4 Visa

Recommended Posts


Could you let me know what is the procedure to change name for a Minor kid born in India and in H4 Visa?

I am planning to go to India during summer this year and do I need to change the name on the birth certificate before changing name in the passport?

Can I just change the name on the birth certificate return to US and then apply for name change in Passport?

What will happen to his Visa and H4 approval notice? 

If any one has done or has any experience it would be of great help on the steps and process.



Link to comment

1. There is a specific legal method involving an affidavit, newspaper notification and publication in the Government Gazette in order for a name change to take place.

2. You will then need to apply for a passport with the changed name and then apply for a H4 visa stamp. (US STATE DEPT RECOMMENDATION)

3. Note that a name change in the Birth Certificate may not be necessary if you have the documents pertaining to name change.

Any contact with Officialdom in India is subject to the joys of the red tape. Hence you will be well advised to involve an appropriate Indian lawyer to do the heavy lifting in the matter

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.