H1B questions

I am planning to travel to India sometime in September this year and have a few questions since I am on H1B visa. My current Visa is approved from 7/14/2021 to 6/29/2024. I have not travelled to India since 2017 and will need H1B visa stamping on my passport to return to my work location in USA. If I travel to India and work remotely from there while waiting for my visa stamping to be completed (since that takes an extended amount of time), is working remotely for extended period allowed? I was told there may be a legal issue with working remotely since H1B is connected to the location of my workplace. 

17 hours ago, Peace_everywhere said:

I am planning to travel to India sometime in September this year and have a few questions since I am on H1B visa. My current Visa is approved from 7/14/2021 to 6/29/2024. I have not travelled to India since 2017 and will need H1B visa stamping on my passport to return to my work location in USA. If I travel to India and work remotely from there while waiting for my visa stamping to be completed (since that takes an extended amount of time), is working remotely for extended period allowed? I was told there may be a legal issue with working remotely since H1B is connected to the location of my workplace. 

You are good as long as your your client/employer allows remote work.  Good Luck.

As an Indian Citizen, you can work for any company back home remotely or otherwise. You are in H1 status only when you are working in the USA on the basis of H1 petition approval. If you work remotely that period of time is not part of your H1 entitlement and you will be able to add that on to your total period of 6 years in H1 status.