Murthy Law Firm

Starting the PERM Green Card Process While in F-1 OPT

This week, Murthy Law Firm attorneys will answer questions regarding the green card process while in F-1 OPT.   

If you have a general question, but do not wish to post it in the forum, you may reach a representative at the Murthy Law Firm via eMail. Please allow 3-to-5 business days for a response. Or, if you have case specific questions, please schedule a consultation with a Murthy Law Firm attorney.

Rules for Topic of the Week Threads:

1. Attorney's postings contain general information only and are not a substitute for case-specific legal advice.
2. The attorney will answer only those questions which relate to the main subject. If you have a question on some other issue, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.
3. The attorney will not necessarily answer every question posted and may provide a single answer to a group of similar questions.
4. Please do not provide information which would identify any specific company, university or individual.

Hello,

I'm currently on F-1 visa currently in my 8th year. I have already used my STEM OPT and currently working on a CPT. 
Question1: I like to know if I'm eligible for green card. And if I'm eligible will that solely depend on the employer to sponsor me. 

Question 2: If I have to change the employer in the future can I transfer my pending green card application to the new employer. 

18 hours ago, sunnypr said:

Hello,

I'm currently on F-1 visa currently in my 8th year. I have already used my STEM OPT and currently working on a CPT. 
Question1: I like to know if I'm eligible for green card. And if I'm eligible will that solely depend on the employer to sponsor me. 

Question 2: If I have to change the employer in the future can I transfer my pending green card application to the new employer. 

It depends on the green card category you are filing under. If it is the normal process for most professionals, i.e., the PERM process, then you will need an employer sponsor and unless you already have an AOS pending with USCIS that qualifies for AC21, if you wish to change employers, that new employer will need to start the process again. If it is a self-petition, a job change may not interfere with the process. To discuss your personal circumstances it is best to speak directly with one of our attorneys.