Visiting parents driving in USA?

lifesurfer

On 12/25/2021 at 11:52 PM, lifesurfer said:

I know visitors can drive on Indian license in the USA.

No, they need IDP.

If you have doubt get accurate details (written publication) form your local LE/traffic dept. I had number of family members got pulled over in different states and told other wise, at minimum one needs IDP. 

does a typical car insurance cover someone like parents who are visiting you?

No, some companies charge at-least 4 to 5 times over the rate. Also some companies do offer and some not, so check with multiple sources. Best bet is to call airport rental services coz they usually provide coverage to customers who does not have valid US drivers license.

Do you foresee any issues with parents driving occasionally?

Yes, primarily Anxiety and confusion.... other issues with normal traffic pattern, speed 60 MPH vs 60 KM,  left turn, yield to emergency vehicles and foot traffic , driving and passing lane, parking, entering on freeways and getting in to exits, navigating through city traffic , paying attention to traffic lights , knowing local traffic laws.

If it's only for occasional use, I would highly recommend avoid the risk of driving.

Are there steps I can take to ensure they are covered insurance-wise and with any other aspect?

Get in touch with the insurance company of your choice. 

Usually family members authorized by the Primary Insurance Policy Holder to drive the insured vehicle are covered. However driving on a foreign drivers license is a gray area....technically they must have also have an accompanying International Driver's Permit along with their Indian Driver License. It is best to simply clarify with your Insurance Company to avoid any costly surprises.