Does USCIS recognize Islamic divorce in India

Recommended Posts

Does USCIS (or DOS/US Consulate) recognize a talak-nama or khula-nama (divorce certificate) issued by a Qazi (religious jurist) in India?

Has anyone used such a document without a divorce decree/order from a court in India for US visa/immigration purpose?

Would appreciate if the forum can share experiences or insights into this issue.

Link to comment

Refer to DOS's website for list of visa reciprocity and civil documents by country.

Comments: Parties filing for divorce can obtain divorce decrees from their court of jurisdiction.  For marriages that took place under Islamic religious authorities, in the absence of a court divorce decree, a divorce certificate from the religious officiant, called a “Qazi,” or the head of the mosque is acceptable.  Muslims can also apply for a court divorce decree.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.