How to enter an ongoing degree in DS 160 while on H1B

siva.gopi

Hi,

I was enrolled in a Ph.D. degree and also working for a company as a part of my curriculum training. I got my H1B approved this year (2021) and it started on October 1, 2021. I need to travel to India to get my H1B stamped and I am having some questions while filling DS-160.

What will be my primary occupation? Student or employed?  Since I was a student should I choose student or now I am on H1B so do I have to select H1B.
If I select employed I am unable to enter my Ph.D. degree in education. The reason is because I am still pursuing the degree. I don't have an option in DS160 to specify an on going degree as I choose employed as primary occupation. Also the form does not allow me to submit if I choose a later date for the attendance to field.

Can anyone help me on this.

Thank you.

On 10/11/2021 at 10:15 AM, siva.gopi said:

What will be my primary occupation? Student or employed?

If you have your h1b approved and going for stamping , you are entering as an employee, you will no longer on F1/student visa.

Your petitioner becomes is sponsoring your visa and "employment" is your primary occupation.

Fill out DS-160 based on your H1b petition and employment only.

If you are still not clear...have a word with your DSO or fellow visa holder Ph.d students or employer's attorney, they can guide you.

On 10/11/2021 at 7:45 PM, siva.gopi said:

Hi,

I was enrolled in a Ph.D. degree and also working for a company as a part of my curriculum training. I got my H1B approved this year (2021) and it started on October 1, 2021. I need to travel to India to get my H1B stamped and I am having some questions while filling DS-160.

What will be my primary occupation? Student or employed?  Since I was a student should I choose student or now I am on H1B so do I have to select H1B.
If I select employed I am unable to enter my Ph.D. degree in education. The reason is because I am still pursuing the degree. I don't have an option in DS160 to specify an on going degree as I choose employed as primary occupation. Also the form does not allow me to submit if I choose a later date for the attendance to field.

Can anyone help me on this.

Thank you.

i was in similar situation . Currently on h1 and in parallel pursuing masters as part time . 

in education details , i have entered my ongoing masters details and in brackets i specified in progress . It does not take future date of completion so I can current date in the field . As you are on H1 and going for H1 stamping , all details should be of employment

I had dropbox last month and had no issues