Sponsor Asylee through family based marriage

Recommended Posts

Dear lawyer,

There are confusion around whether a US citizen can sponsor their asylee wife (crossed the border, surrender to DHS and released on a bond). Can you please clarify whether an US citizen can sponsor Greencard through marriage or not? Will there be complication because of her open case.

Thanks for your help

Link to comment

For Adjustment of Status as family-based, the person must have been "admitted" or "paroled". If she applied for asylum at the port of entry, she probably wasn't "admitted" or "paroled", and probably can't do Adjustment of Status as family-based (unless perhaps she leaves and re-enters on Advance Parole). Even after she is granted asylum, she still doesn't count as "admitted", and probably still can't do Adjustment of Status as family-based.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.