Not Too Early To Start the PERM Green Card Process

Attorney_22

This week, Murthy Law Firm attorneys will answer questions regarding starting the PERM green card process.

Rules for Topic of the Week Threads:

1. Attorney's postings contain general information only and are not a substitute for case-specific legal advice.
2. The attorney will answer only those questions which relate to the main subject. If you have a question on some other issue, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.
3. The attorney will not necessarily answer every question posted and may provide a single answer to a group of similar questions.
4. Please do not provide information which would identify any specific company, university or individual.

Hi thank you for providing this service in such difficult times for all.

What are the risks of starting the PERM process in the current scenario given the high unemployment numbers? I am a dentist working in a health professional shortage area working for a non profit on  a cap based visa, I’m worried if I start the process and a citizen applies I may loose my job. What can I do to improve my chances of not getting displaced? Ps: I’ve got big student loans to pay off.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:41 PM, srinivasav said:

Hello,

Do you think Green card processes will pickup speed now?

There are many parts of the process, and the answer depends on the category you are referring to. Generally, processing has slowed since COVID-19 became a factor. However, other aspects of the process are giving hope, such as premium processing returning for I-140s, and due to the consulate delays of interviews, more adjustment of status cases may be able to be filed if priority dates move forward more quickly.  

On 5/29/2020 at 2:22 AM, shivzy1 said:

Hi thank you for providing this service in such difficult times for all.

What are the risks of starting the PERM process in the current scenario given the high unemployment numbers? I am a dentist working in a health professional shortage area working for a non profit on  a cap based visa, I’m worried if I start the process and a citizen applies I may loose my job. What can I do to improve my chances of not getting displaced? Ps: I’ve got big student loans to pay off.

Generally, you are correct, there may be many unemployed U.S. workers at this time that may apply to the advertisement. However, your employer must recruit for the position based on his minimum requirements, and not all individuals may qualify. To discuss the process and your employer's options, it may be best to speak directly with an experienced U.S. immigration attorney.